The Private Sector Specialist USAID/West Africa’s Enhancing Growth through Regional Agricultural Input Systems (EnGRAIS) Project will oversee and have responsibility for the deliverables under the project’s Intermediate Result 1: Competitive, inclusive, private sector-led, regional fertilizer market strengthened. The incumbent will work with the project’s Chief of Party (COP) and the project team to achieve the following:
- Increase the quantity and quality of fertilizer used and marketed in the region.
- Facilitate market entry for new entrepreneurs with emphasis on identifying opportunities for inclusion of women and youth.
- Increase efficiency of the fertilizer supply.
- Develop a more competitive private sector.
The Private Sector Specialist will be supervised by and report to the project’s COP. The Private Sector Specialist may also be called to perform other duties assigned by the COP as deemed necessary to support the achievement of the project’s overall objective.
Major responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with the West African Fertilizer Association (WAFA) to bring the needed technical support to help WAFA become a mature and sustainable association through:
- Reinforcing its institutional, organizational and operational structure with special focus on sustainability through revenue generation
- Facilitating the establishment and/or reinforcement of linkage with donors, partners other associations at national, regional and international level
- Working on the development of a process of certification to professionalize the WA fertilizer sector
- Providing technical support to facilitate the West Africa Fertilizer Fora facilitated by WAFA
- Stimulate the private sector investments in fertilizer supply through:
- Developing tools allowing the private sector to develop their businesses in WA in an efficient and profitable manner
- Exploring and building alliances with actors in the agriculture value chain
- Working with the Market Information Services/ICT Applications Specialist to track fertilizer volumes traded in-country and at regional level
- Strengthen stakeholder business and management skills through:
- Strengthening/Facilitating the development of National Associations
- Sensitizing the agro-dealers network to promote the input package with a focus on young entrepreneurs
- Work closely with the project team to strengthen stakeholder business and management skills
- Providing targeted training and coaching to nurture business relationship and trust between fertilizer importers, producers and distributors along the agriculture value chain.
- An overall implementation plan, strategy and detailed activities geared toward the achievement of a competitive, inclusive, private sector-led, regional fertilizer market.
- Regular updates on fertilizer market and use in the project’s coverage
- A Master’s degree in a relevant discipline such as economics, finance, agribusiness, public policy, business administration, or international affairs.
- Superior level of resourcefulness and the ability to work independently, manage and complete multiple tasks simultaneously, and to meet deadlines under pressure.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with a multi-disciplinary team, development partners, local communities and government agencies in West Africa.
- Strong command of all forms of communication and ability to deliver messaging in a consistently effective, timely and engaging custom.
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed.
- Excellent communication and writing skills in both English and French
- At least 10 years of experience in Africa fertilizer sector development with fertilizer industry or with international institutions, NGOs, or consulting firms
- Proven experience and skills in project management, planning, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation (M&E).
About the Organization
Since 1974, IFDC has focused on increasing and sustaining food security and agricultural productivity in over 100 developing countries through the development and transfer of effective and environmentally sound crop nutrient technology and agribusiness expertise.