We are now accepting applicants for the position of Process Engineer for a major infrastructure development program in Zambia involving wastewater treatment.
The Lusaka Water & Sewerage Company (LWSC), with funding support from EIB and KfW, will engage a consulting firm to prepare functional designs and tender documents, procurement of design-build (D-B) works contractor, and supervision of the construction of two wastewater treatment plants (WWTPs) following the FIDIC Yellow Book form of contracting. This assignment is in two phases. Phase 1 will cover topographic and geotechnical surveys, prequalification of works contractors, functional designs (including Environmental Impact Assessment), tender documents, and the procurement of a design-build works contractor. Phase 2 will cover supervision of the implementation of the design and works of two (2) new WWTPs following the FIDIC Yellow Book form of contracting. Construction is expected to take two years plus a 1-year defects notification period (DNP) as well as operation and training assistance after completion of construction - lasting 36 months which includes the DNP. Phase 2 will also require overall project management (as will Phase 1), construction supervision, monitoring and quality assurance of construction works and accompanying measures.
• Overall responsibility for the preparation of functional process and plant design, costing, implementation supervision and commissioning
• Design plan, mass balance, section layouts and tender documents for the Design-Build Contractor (FIDIC Yellow Book) including specifications
• Review of bid process design prepared by the Design Build Contractors (FIDIC Yellow Book) tender phase
• Review of detailed process design prepared by the Design Build Contractor (FIDIC Yellow Book) during the construction supervision phase
• Review and approve As-Built Drawings
• Supervise the commissioning and take over
• Monitor and report on the client’s performance (implementation, performance, log-frame indicators, etc.)
• Improve the client’s business planning, budgeting and controlling systems
• Carry out procurement of works, goods and services (tendering, assignment of works contracts, assignment of local supervision consultants if the consultant does not supervise the construction himself)
• Supervise the local supervision consultants or carry out the construction supervision and authorize payments for contractors and consultants
• Impose occupational health and safety standards on the construction sites
• Support the defects notification period (DNP), if required
• Adherence to CDM Smith’s quality management program (QMP) and anti-corruption policy (ACP)
• Short term travel to Zambia during design and tendering phase
** Please note this position is contingent upon award and project funding.
• Master’s Degree in Process Engineering or equivalent related field (e.g. Civil or Mechanical Engineering)
• Management experience of process operations on at least one (1) project with a value of over $50 million and containing multiple project components
• At least 10 years’ demonstrable experience in process engineering and operations for infrastructure projects, preferably in the wastewater sector, including experience on projects of a similar size and scope: at least 10 years’ international experience preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Experience in start-up operation and optimization of WWTP treatment
• Experience on at least 4 waste water treatment plants greater than 100,000 population equivalents
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
** Please note this position is contingent upon project award and funding.
About the Organization
CDM Smith provides lasting and integrated solutions in water, environment, transportation, energy and facilities to public and private clients worldwide. As a full-service consulting, engineering, construction, and operations firm, we deliver exceptional client service, quality results and enduring value across the entire project life cycle.
We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate—as diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
All vendors must have a signed CDM Smith Placement Agreement from the CDM Smith Recruitment Center Manager to receive payment for your placement. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of the CDM Smith staff will not be considered binding terms. All unsolicited resumes sent to CDM Smith and any resume submitted to any employee outside of CDM Smith Recruiting Center Team (RCT) will be considered property of CDM Smith. CDM Smith will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.