Processing Business Specialist, (Senegal)
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Under the anticipated USAID-funded Senegal Agriculture Value Chain Services project TechnoServe will ensure the scaling and expanded access of farmers active in the feed the future zone of influence to productivity enhancing technologies, on both the production and harvest cycles. This five-year project will work to empower grassroots farmer organizations to develop capacity towards grain consolidation networks, build the capacity of buyers, processors and input dealers to access new technologies and markets. Lastly, the project will enable financial institutions support agricultural growth by developing investment structures which result in increased access to credit, equipment leasing and smallholder farmer insurance mechanisms.
The Processing Business Specialist provides on-the-ground strategic advisory services to selected food processors at country level. In coordination with the Processing Capacity Building Manager’s development and delivery of standardized training addressing business and technical fundamentals of food processing. S/he will collaborate with other team members in-country and across the project, to ensure coordinated and impactful implementation.
- Support the Senior Processing Business Specialist to collect objective and verifiable information for selection of processors who will contribute to intended program impacts.
- Participate in evaluation of processors based on concept notes, interviews and site visits, and verification of information supplied in the initial application.
- Document the processor selection process.
Processor Assessment and Categorization
- Conduct diagnostic assessments, as assigned by the Senior Processing Business Specialist, of selected processors to identify priority business and technical challenges.
- Share and discuss the assessment with the client to verify findings, seek clarifications and ensure a common understanding of the priorities. Use appropriate interview and business advisory methodologies to dig deeper and ensure that the root problems are identified.
- Contribute to categorization of selected processors partners into predefined segments to pair them with the appropriate level and sophistication of technical advice.
Processor Relationship Management
- Manage the relationship with assigned clients.
- Ensure regular communication to maintain clients’ satisfaction with program support and early identification of any problems.
- Plan activities to ensure that the shared objectives are met within the set times and resources and that impact is maximized
- In collaboration with the Senior Processing Business Specialist and Processing Capacity Building Manager, develop and deliver standardized trainings and quick win solutions to less sophisticated clients with simpler technical and business needs.
- Provide on-the-ground support for implementation of technical advice, on issues identified by the business diagnostic.
- As appropriate, develop and facilitate alignment on project charters for assigned processors.
- Facilitate processors to adopt policies and practices that create safer and more equitable work environments for women.
- Source and facilitate relevant expertise from partner company volunteer experts to support the food processors. Liaise between volunteers and processors to ensure clear expectations and smooth communication.
- Facilitate university student internships / apprenticeship initiative with foundational processors, whereby interns will be assigned to processors for a defined period to provide technical support and address identified issues.
Sector Wide Trainings
- Support the program Processing Capacity Building Manager, and local training institutes with technical input on identification of appropriate topics and development of curricula for sector wide training in support of broader industry development.
- Liaise with the Processing and Business Manager to identify processors with an interest to improve supply chain linkages to smallholder farmers.
- Liaise with the Processing and Business Manager to identify processors with an interest to market nutritious products to low income markets.
- Support, as necessary, communication and coordination on these areas with assigned clients.
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning
- In coordination with the M&E Manager and Senior Processing Business Specialist manage collection of processor reporting data, review data for accuracy.
- Contribute towards explanations of metric results and provide input to recommendations to adapt program approach as necessary to maximize impact.
- Provide anecdotal evidence of impact, including success stories, case studies and lessons learned.
- Ensure activities carried out are in accordance with TechnoServe and donor requirements.
- Understand all gender integration requirements (donor as well as internal to TechnoServe).
- Review gender targets and progress and make suggestions for course correction to country and program leadership, as necessary
You will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or related area, Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 5 years’ work experience in food processing, with at least 1 working in a manufacturing plant.
- Proven track record in providing technical solutions to food processors.
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) as well as worker safety.
- Strong project management and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and good computer skills in business software (Excel, MS Project and PowerPoint).
- Strong English skills.
We welcome hearing from qualified and interested applicants. Click “Apply Now” to complete a short application and upload your resume and cover letter. Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications. No phone calls, please. This position is open to Senegalese nationals only.
About the Organization
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.