Position Title : Procurement and Logistics Officer
Duty Station : Kabul, Afghanistan
Classification : Official, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed Term, one year with possibilityof extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : October 02, 2013
Reference Code : VN2013/31(O)-EXT
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM has a proactive recruitment policy to increase the representation of nationals of nonrepresented member states. Qualified applicants from the following countries will be favorably considered:Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, Benin, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Comoros, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Djibouti, El Salvador, Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Holy See, Israel, Jamaica, Kyrgyzstan, Lesotho, Libya, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Maldives, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Micronesia,Mongolia, Namibia, Nauru, Niger, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, Slovenia, Somalia, South Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Timor Leste, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Vanuatu, Venezuela, YemenApplications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.
In accordance with the overall directives of the Chief of Mission, under the direct supervision of the Community Cohesion Initiative (CCI) Programme Manager, and in close coordination with the Senior Resource Management Officer (SRMO) in Kabul, the successful candidate will be responsible for the coordination of logistics and procurement activities related to CCI. The successful candidate will report directly to the CCI Programme Manager and will have overall responsibility for providing logistical and procurement support to the successful implementation of the CCI.
The CCI programme is funded by the Office of Transition Initiatives (OTI). Through CCI, IOM seeks to improve community stabilization in order to foster an enabling environment for sustainable peace and traditional development programmes. This is done by strengthening ties between and among local actors, customary governance structures, and the local government authorities. To achieve these objectives, CCI will design and implement smallgrant activities through a process-oriented, community driven approach and will emphasize project processes. The IOM/CCI programme will be primarily focused in the North and West of Afghanistan.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Provide overall supervision and coordination of staff and activities in the CCIprocurement and logistics unit.
2. Ensure the proper design and timely functioning of a service- and support-oriented procurement management system for CCI grant projects, including procurement, contracting and logistical support.
3. Ensure that all necessary documents are collected and submitted to the USAID Mission Unit each time a vetting process is required.
4. Keep in mind programme requirements, donor regulations, IOM procurement policies and financial guidelines, establish, maintain and reinforce a catalogue of procedures governing procurement, contracting and logistics support activities for the CCIprogramme.
5. Establish and maintain centralized records of all aspects associated with procurement and logistics of CCI grants throughout Afghanistan to ensure that the highest standards possible are followed.
6. Ensure consistent communication, coordination and responsiveness with the CCI grants manager and field coordinator on the status of procurement, contracting and logistics activities.
7. Establish and maintain an internal tracking system that ensures expenditures are properly coded to grants.
8. Implement proper control and monitoring procedures for the procurement and contracting processes; responsible for ensuring the transparency and competitiveness of IOM bids analysis, and bidding and tendering processes.
9. Prepare and conduct Request for Quotations (RFQ’s), Purchase Requests, Bid Analysis Sheet (BASs), and review purchase receipts, quotations, bids and proposals, evaluations and negotiations of all goods and services to ensure compliance with IOM procurement regulations.
10. Provide recommendations on pricing, sourcing and specifications relating material, goods and services for the CCI programme in order to improve grant deliverables and project quality.
11. Create and update a pricing list for most commonly used items for the programme.
12. Monitor the procurement and logistics competency of ongoing CCI projects and evaluate the same on completed projects.
13. Attend IOM/CCI grant coordination meetings, and make recommendations to the Programme Manager on improvement to grant implementation activities and procedures, and on increasing the efficiency of CCI contract tendering mechanisms.
14. In conjunction with appropriate CCI engineering and field coordination teams as well as governmental counterparts, encourage and help develop standard designs for bidding and tendering processes taking into consideration locally available resources, and safety and security concerns.
15. Ensure that all paperwork and procedures are followed for customs and duty exemptionsin coordination with the SRMO and relevant government offices.
16. Ensure that all procurement and contracting processes are in full compliance and all activities are up to date with IOM and donor reporting and auditing requirements.
17. Implement effective internal control of assets, inventory and property management.
18. Assist in the coordination of vehicle controls, supervision of drivers, and management of staff movements.
19. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
a) takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism; b) works effectively with all clients and stakeholders; c) promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly; d)takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management; e) plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; f) displays mastery of subject matter; g) contributes to a collegial team environment; h) incorporates genderrelated needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation; i)displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; j) works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
a) effectively applies specialized knowledge of logistics and procurement to timely source goods and services; b) effectively works with vendors and service providers in compliance with IOM procedures to secure cost-effective quality solutions for IOM.
Emergency and Crisis
a) works effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments; b) coordinates actions with emergency response actors and making use of coordination structures; c) supports adequate levels of information sharing between internal units, cluster partners, IOM and other emergency response actors; d) establishes and maintains effective relationships with implementing partners; e) makes correct decisions rapidly based on available information.
Required Qualifications and Experience
a) completed advanced university degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in Business Administration, Management, Logistics, Procurement; b) two years of professional experience (or four years for candidates holding a first level university degree) in managing diverse procurement and logistics operations; c) excellent level of computer literacy and good knowledge of SAP/PRISM.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Dari or Pashtu an advantage.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitmentsystem, by October 02, 2013 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly filled in and submitted with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for applications.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application in your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.