With more than 30 years of experience, CowaterSogema is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development. We have managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe for clients such as DFID, DFAT Australia, the World Bank and Global Affairs Canada. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, economic and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
CowaterSogema is excited to announce the opening of a Procurement Specialist position for the upcoming Emerging Smallholder Facility of the Commercial Agriculture for Smallholders and Agribusiness programme (CASA). This programme will support agribusinesses in DFID priority countries in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia that have received impact investments to increase development impacts for smallholder farmers through the provision of technical, analytical and advisory services. The Procurement Specialist will develop and manage procurement systems for the efficient delivery of technical assistance services to agribusiness in order to increase engagement with smallholder farmers in commercial value chains. Reporting to the Team Leader at CowaterSogema’s Office in Pretoria, South Africa, the Procurement Specialist will apply their experience and skills in tendering technical assistance in the area of commercial agriculture and/or agribusiness to achieve the objectives of the programme.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher qualification in economics, business or finance or similar with demonstrated knowledge of commercial agriculture and agribusiness investments.
- At least 10 years’ of experience leading local and international procurement of large and small scale services in sub-Saharan Africa and/or South Asia;
- Experience developing high quality tender and contractual documents, transparent procurement administration, and contract compliance to standard procedure;
- Experience in procurement with investors (commercial, Development Finance Institutions, and/or impact investors) in commercial agriculture and/or agribusiness investment projects is preferable.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills (speaking, writing and oral) in English;
- Demonstrated understanding of the skills and capacities required in the agriculture and agribusiness sector;
- Work with the Project Team to develop and/or update procurement guidelines, bidding documents, appropriate standard forms and templates in compliance with standard country-specific, DFID and international procurement standards and norms.
- Carry out fair and competitive selection processes in compliance with national and international best practices (countries to be determined during investor engagement phase);
- Survey of relevant markets as needed to determine the availability of vendors, contractors, suppliers, or individual consultants that meet the project’s needs and standards.
- Assist in the preparation of, and overseeing the delivery of purchase orders, subcontracts, consulting agreements, technical or administrative work orders or letters of agreement.
- Organize and maintaining digital and physical archive: manage proper files and updated records for the project’s procurement and administration section, for any audit purpose;
- Ensure value for money through the tendering of services.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with CowaterSogema.
About the OrganizationCowaterSogema is a global leader in management consulting services, focusing on developing and emerging economies. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. As Canada’s largest international development consulting firm, CowaterSogema has developed a reputation of excellence for our strong ability to work with clients and stakeholders to provide leading-edge solutions and services tailored to the needs and challenges faced by developing and transitional countries. Our firm possesses internationally recognized and award-winning experience at the policy, program and project levels, developing and managing major projects as well as undertaking studies, sector reviews, evaluations, and training and communications activities.
CowaterSogema is a global company with its headquarters in Ottawa, Canada, an office in Montreal, Canada, an office in Pretoria, South Africa (CowaterSogema South Africa) and operations in Paris, France (CowaterSogema Europe). Additionally, the company currently operates project offices worldwide including in Burkina Faso, Mali, Malawi, Cameroon, South Sudan, Mozambique, Zambia, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Indonesia, Jordan, Peru, Honduras, Barbados etc.