Procurement Specialist - Full-time staff position reporting to the Procurement Manager.
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) was awarded a five-year USAID-funded project to establish the Center of Excellence in Energy Research, Education and Entrepreneurship (COE-Energy) at Ain Shams University in Egypt, in collaboration with Mansoura and Aswan Universities, under the auspices of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR). COE-Energy aims to work collaboratively with public and private sector partners to build the capacity of Egyptian universities to produce high-quality applied research in energy, deliver world-class training in engineering, and create a dynamic energy innovation ecosystem focused on meeting local challenges and contributing to economic growth in Egypt.
- Follow all procurement-related USAID rules and regulations as mandated by the cooperative agreement as well as MIT’s procurement policies and procedures.
- Support the Procurement Manager in conducting successful and responsive procurement operations to reflect actual needs at the project, COE and universities.
- Work closely with the project accountant to ensure all procurement packages are adequately complete and supported before submitting to Procurement Manager for final review and approval.
- Periodically update procurement folders according to project standards, ensure all supporting documents are properly filed and collated.
- Consult with the Accountant to ensure the reasonableness of procurement in relation to the respective project activities and budget line items.
- Verify needs with technical personnel and/or consultants, before COP approval, and prepare Purchase Requests/Orders accordingly.
- Apply for cash advance, or finalize procurement preparation processes in coordination with Finance and technical personnel/consultants.
- Follow up progress on each item procured until the preparation of the delivery note to include the necessary specifications and/or identification of procured items.
- Assist the Procurement Manager in preparing procurement documentation, providing data to take decisions, and support procurement operations across the project activities and services.
- Participate in procurement evaluation committees, with technical personnel/consultants, as a procurement department representative to ensure adherence to proper policies and procedures, to select best value offers presented from vendors.
- Responsible for reviewing purchased/received items against project’s Purchase Requests/Orders and vendor invoices.
- Review and approve custom clearance invoices before submitting to Finance.
- Responsible for identifying and labeling the inventory of the project’s purchased items and periodically check the inventory list.
- Assist in providing the ME&L Specialist’s needed procurement information related to items procured and delivered each quarter.
- This is a full-time position in Cairo, Egypt with occasional travel to Mansoura and Aswan. The incumbent will not be a direct employee of MIT.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor degree in Accounting, Business Management or equivalent is required.
- 5- 7 years of experience preferably working for USAID funded programs.
- Knowledge of freight services and shipping of goods.
- Professional verbal and written abilities in both English and Arabic.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and especially Excel software.
- Flexible and able to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Good communication, negotiation, listening and analytical skills, accurate, reliable and detail oriented
To apply please submit your most recent CV to EnergyCOE.EGY@gmail.com with the subject line “PS-COE”. Application Deadline: Wednesday, March, 27th, 2019.
This Job Description is not designed to contain a comprehensive list of duties or responsibilities required. The employee will review the Job Description annually with their supervisors to include additional or revised responsibilities and tasks
About the Organization
The Center of Excellence in Energy Research, Education and Entrepreneurship is a project of MIT in collaboration with Ain Shams, Mansoura and Aswan Universities.
MIT is a private research university in Cambridge, Massachusetts founded in 1861 in response to the increasing industrialization of the United States. Traditionally known for its research and education in the physical sciences and engineering, MIT is often ranked among the world’s top five universities stressing laboratory instruction in applied science and engineering. MIT’s mission is to bring knowledge to bear on the world’s greatest challenges while educating students in engineering, science and the social sciences to best serve the world in the 21st century.