Position:Product Design/Development Specialist–Reconstruction Housing Finance Project
Duty Location: Kathmandu
Expected Start Date: By early March 2019
Nature of Engagement: STTA (20 days LOE)
About the Programme
The Sakchyam Access to Finance Programme (Sakchyam) is an initiative funded by UKaid as part of an agreement between the Governments of Nepal and the UK. It is implemented by Louis Berger for the Department for International Development (DFID Nepal) in partnership with local and international institutions. Sakchyam is working with the public and private sectors to leverage access and facilitate financial sector development in Nepal for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and for poor people.
As a part of its ongoing initiatives, Sakchyam is preparing to work with the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA) and the Nepalese financial sector to facilitate home loans to earthquake victims as outlined in the Government of Nepal’s ‘Unified Working Procedure for Interest Subsidy on Concessional Loans 2075’. A pilot is now being designed with dedicated resources at select local units to coordinate between potential customers and financial institutions. To support the pilot, Sakchyam is looking to onboard the product design/development specialist.
Purpose of the Position
Commercial banks and traditional means of housing finance typically serve the middle and high-income groups. Their housing loan products and features i.e. repayment terms, collateral requirement, documentation etc. are designed in the same way; in view of the capacity of the high or middle income markets. Hence, there’s an eminent need to design an appropriate ‘loan product’ and undertake revision of ‘loan documentation and process’ to ensure the earthquake survivors under Nepal Reconstruction Authority (NRA) Housing Loan Programme could access housing loan offered by formal FSPs in a convenient and affordable manner.
Scope of Work
The primary duties of the Product Design/Development Specialist will include:
- Review arrangement on housing loan product offering to earthquake victims as outlined in ‘Unified Working Procedure for Interest Subsidy on Concessional Loans 2075’,
- Review existing (sample) housing loan products available in the market
- (Re)Design a standard housing loan product for earthquake victim; provide ToT to capacitate participating FSPs to offer the newly redesigned loan product to target beneficiaries.
- Design simple and objective loan appraisal and documentation process; provide ToT on adoption of consistent loan appraisal and documentation process across all the participating FSPs.
The Product Design/Development Specialist will have the following qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in management/economics/finance or other relevant areas.
- 15 years of proven experience of working with financial service providers on similar issues; Work experience in housing reconstruction including post-disaster financing will be given preference;
- Working experience with International Development Partner/ Donor/ Development Project shall be an added advantage;
- Strong communication and presentation skills as well as an ability to work to tight deadlines.
The closing date for submissions is January 30, 2019.
About the Organization
The Louis Berger Group, Inc. is an internationally recognized consulting firm that provides engineering, architecture, program and construction management, environmental planning and science, and economic development services. We are a devoted and trusted partner to federal, state, and local government agencies; multilateral institutions; and commercial industry. To this diverse client base we bring strategic vision and an entrepreneurial spirit, developing innovative solutions to some of the world’s most challenging problems. Integrated Development (ID), a division within Louis Berger, offers a multi-disciplinary approach to international development.