Requisition ID: req1979
Job Title: Program Advisor
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
During 2014, the IRC conducted an organization wide consultative process to prepare a new 5-year plan that defines the IRC’s mission, vision and strategy for 2015-2020. The foundation of the IRC strategy is our mission: to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. As an organization, we are committed to assessing our progress against this mission by whether we make measurable improvements to the lives of the people we serve. Progress will be measured in terms of achievements in improving beneficiaries’ health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power while emphasizing the need to narrow gender gaps with regard to each of these outcomes. The strategy also sets out a new vision for the IRC as the organization seeks to make impact as both an operational leader and a thought leader: The IRC will lead the humanitarian field by implementing high-impact, cost-effective programs for people affected by crisis and by using our learning and experience to shape policy and practice.
Within the IRC Jordan program, the next step in this process is the mid-term review and continued integrated implementation of the Jordan Strategy Action Plan (SAP). Equally, core program expansion activities are planned in line with the SAP, including in East Amman. The Jordan Country Program is going through a number of program transitions and launches, including through the start-up of an innovation lab and a municipal support and livelihoods program with the Greater Amman Municipality.
Accordingly, the IRC Jordan team is seeking a dynamic, well-organized consultant to advance key components of the plan.
Based in Amman, Jordan, the Program Advisor will work with the SMT to develop key components described in the Jordan SAP as outlined below. The PA will collaborate closely with all departments and staff including program coordinators, finance, HR, and operations as well as with the Middle East Regional office, IRC’s NY headquarters and the IRC office in London.
Scope of Work
Support to Priorities in the Jordan Strategy Action Plan (60%)
* Development, testing and preparing a roll out plan for the ‘Volunteer Bootcamp’ including e-learning training programs, psychological first aid, and professional skills development. This will be done in close coordination with the Volunteer Working Group, Program Coordinators and TU;
* Provide technical and proposal development services in preparation of the anticipated Madad Trust Fund proposal. Support the Health Coordinator and Health Manager in finalizing the transition strategy for IRC/health programs from direct health service delivery to systems strengthening. Develop and document: clear goals for the transition, an actor mapping (including MoH and civil society networks), a business development strategy, and a transition work plan;
* Provide support and technical guidance to the roll out of the Child Protection team’s assessment to identify gaps in urban programming (including Amman); the assessment will be designed to develop protection profiles of street children, their families and the police. The final assessment report will inform street and working children concept notes. Support business development CP initiatives based on assessment findings.
Development of the IRC Jordan Contingency and Emergency Preparedness Plan (40%)
* Coordinate the revision of IRC Jordan’s contingency plans in preparation for potential renewed conflict in Southern Syria, Berm admissions to Jordan and other scenarios described in the SAP;
* Review and amend, as needed, the emergency preparedness plans in Azraq camp taking into account new programming in GBV and reproductive health;
* Engage operations and program departments in developing these plans based on the Jordan SAP to respond to the various;
* Engage, as needed, the IRC’s Emergency Unit to guide the prioritization and classification process around most likely scenarios;
* Develop a workplan for the key pieces (procurement, logistics, programmatic and HR) necessary to deliver on the contingency plan;
* Provide recommendation per department on next steps and process revisions needed to in order to activate and deliver on the contingency plans.
Key Working Relationships :
Position Reports to: Deputy Director for Programs
Other Internal Contacts: Country Director, Deputy Director of Operations, Technical Coordinators, Grants Coordinator, Partnership Unit, Regional team members and TAs,
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
Bachelor’s degree in organizational development, planning, social science, or other relevant subject.
Minimum five years’ work experience in humanitarian and international development organization. Experience with IRC in implementing strategy action plans at the country level. Project management and senior leadership experience within the IRC is strongly preferred.
Demonstrated Technical Skills
* Proven competency with program design, M&E, project cycle management tools and building budgets.
* Excellent presentation and workshop facilitation skills.
* Ability to work independently while being a strong team player.
* Politically astute, with well-developed negotiating skills;
* Superior oral and written communication skills, with ability to express ideas and concepts clearly and persuasively with senior internal and external stakeholders.
* Strong ability to work effectively across departments and build consensus;
* Professional fluency in spoken and written English is required.
Computer/Other Tech Requirements
* Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
Ability to Travel Up to 10% inside Jordan