Program Assistant, Education Abroad
At AMIDEAST we pride ourselves in being a leading American non-profit organization engaged in international education, training and development activities in the Middle East and North Africa. We also pride ourselves in providing 40+ days of paid leave and a great 401k with 6% matching.
The Program Assistant helps manage AMIDEAST’s participation in U.S. Department of State- sponsored programs such as YES Abroad and the National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y), and serves as the primary point of contact between AMIDEAST Headquarters in Washington, DC and program participants, as well as an important collaborative liaison with grantors, sending institutions, and AMIDEAST field office staff members delivering programs in the Middle East and North Africa. The Program Assistant also works collaboratively with the Education Abroad team in the development and enhancement of AMIDEAST Education Abroad’s portfolio of proprietary programs, including supporting the needs of traditionally underserved participant populations, supporting all AMIDEAST Education Abroad initiatives regarding student life and well-being, and general promotion and marketing of AMIDEAST Education Abroad programs.
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manages crucial aspects of AMIDEAST’s involvement in U.S. Department of State funded programs, including YES Abroad and the National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) Programs
- Helps coordinate with the donor and prime contractor (currently American Councils for International Education), including representing AMIDEAST in meetings of the YES Abroad Consortium and with the Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs;
- Participates in the selection of YES Abroad students;
- Communicates with prospective and selected students and parents at all stages of program implementation;
- Manages all aspects of getting students on program, including travel reservations, collection of materials and forms, follow-up related to materials and forms, etc.;
- Prepares, updates, and conducts series of predeparture webinars; conceptualizes, plans, and implements predeparture and reentry orientations;
- Helps review and revise student policies on an annual basis and communicates them effectively to all constituents on an ongoing basis;
- Helps spearhead the review process and response to health, safety, and security issues that arise during program implementation;
- Prepares drafts and submits final versions of monthly, quarterly, and final narrative reports as needed;
- Collaborates with field office staff regarding AMIDEAST Education Abroad Programs, from program development through implementation, monitoring, and regular reporting;
- Promotes AMIDEAST Education Abroad programs, including through social media, interaction with campus-based education abroad professionals, and overall development of promotional materials and strategies;
- Undertakes special projects and other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- 1-2 years of Education abroad experience as a student or professional within the Middle East/North Africa
- Experience of U.S. government-funded programs as a student or professional within the Middle East/North Africa
- Specific academic and practical knowledge of one or more countries relevant to AMIDEAST Education Abroad programming
- Spoken/written Arabic and/or French proficiency
- Understanding of issues facing traditionally underserved participant populations and experience developing and implementing strategies for equity and support
- Precise attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to work under pressure
- Strong computer skills (candidate should list experience with various software programs)
Please provide a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to http://jobs.amideast.org
AMIDEAST is an Equal Opportunity Employer-Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disability/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
About the Organization
AMIDEAST is a leading American non-profit organization engaged in international education, training and development activities in the Middle East and North Africa.
Founded in 1951, AMIDEAST in its early years focused on promoting U.S. study to students in the MENA region and managing U.S. scholarships and exchanges such as the flagship Fulbright Foreign Student Program. While these important programs continue apace, our work has expanded significantly.
Today AMIDEAST programs and services touch the lives of half a million individuals a year – improving educational opportunities and quality, strengthening local institutions, and developing language and professional skills critical for success in the global economy.