Introduction: USAID’s global mission is to partner to end extreme poverty, and promote resilient, democratic societies, while advancing the United States’ security and prosperity. The incumbent serves as a Program Assistant in the Bureau for Economic Growth, Education and Environment (E3), Office of Education, and on the Higher Education, Workforce Development and Youth team. The incumbent is responsible for work associated with delivering U.S. development assistance programs to developing countries. The Program Assistant conducts work assignments that cross organizational lines. The functions of the Office and Bureau are described below.
E3 Bureau: The Bureau for Economic Growth, Education, and Environment (E3) provides technical leadership, research, and field support for worldwide activities in the areas of Economic Growth and Trade, Infrastructure and Engineering, Education, Environment and Global Climate Change, Water, and Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment. E3 represents the Agency on relevant technical matters in the Inter-agency and with Congress, outside partners, other donors and multilateral institutions.
The Bureau also supports research and rigorous impact evaluations to advance Agency strategies and programs in E3 sectors and determine the most effective approaches. E3 encourages innovation and is working on two Grand Challenges for Development, in education and energy, as well as other methods to identify new ideas and bring them to scale.
E3/Education: The Education Office (E3/ED) has a mandate spanning policies and programs involved in providing quality educational services at the basic and post-secondary levels, and access to education in conflict and crisis settings. E3/ED leverages its expertise, partnerships, and global perspective to guide and influence the Education Sector, advancing the Agency’s development priorities. The Office provides expertise and guidance to USAID bureaus and field missions on the design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of USAID policy, planning, and programs in the areas of basic education, youth workforce development and higher education. The Office monitors U.S. support for and the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals for quality education and lifelong learning, gender equality and female empowerment, employment and decent work, and partnership. It assists in the development, implementation, and evaluation of Agency policies, strategies, and resource allocation priorities; and advises Agency leadership on developments that could have an impact on Agency performance in education programming. It also provides relevant technical content and trainers for professional development programs for Agency staff worldwide, especially those in the Education sector. The Office also oversees the recruitment, selection, and pre-deployment training of new Foreign Service Education Officers.
E3/ED focuses on implementing the three goals of the USAID Education Strategy:
- Improved reading skills for children in primary grades
- Improved ability of tertiary education and workforce development programs to generate workforce skills relevant to a country’s development goals
- Increased equitable access to education for learners in in crisis and conflict environments
Key Duties and responsibilities
- The Program Assistant is responsible for supporting work associated with delivering foreign assistance programs based both in the United States and in developing countries. Work is performed primarily in the Bureau of assignment, but the incumbent is expected to participate in assignments that cross organizational lines. Duties include the following:
- Provide high-level administrative operations and workflow management support to the Higher Education, Workforce Development and Youth team
- Ensure team work plan and events calendar are updated on a quarterly basis
- Provide scheduling and coordination support to the team
- Coordinate travel arrangements for staff travel, conferences, study tours and training events, including flight, accommodation, visa application and ground transportation
- Develop and implement a system for organizing and maintaining team’s electronic files (shared network and/or Google drive) to make sure they are comprehensive and accessible for team members working in various locations
- Ensure external and internal meetings, conference calls and webinars run smoothly and effectively by managing invitations and conference call details, booking facilities, organizing meeting logistics, preparing meeting materials, preparing minutes and actions, and coordinating follow-up actions
- Conducts research and obtains documents to inform technical assistance, briefings and reports, project/program tracking, data analysis. Program document preparation and presentations, performance and portfolio review support, and assistance to project and activity design teams
- Develop an annual communications and outreach plan for the team
- Collaborate with E3/ED’s communications staff and others to conceptualize and produce online and print-based communications materials to inform stakeholders of USAID’s efforts and accomplishments
- Work with implementing partners, researchers, and others to develop higher education, youth and workforce development-related content for promotional materials (Fact Sheets, Program Summaries, presentations, and speeches) and for booth displays for internal and external events
- Contribute content to USAID Education social media presence and to USAID blogs
- Prepare Office and Bureau leadership for events and speaking engagements by developing talking points, speeches, presentations, briefers, and scene setters.
- Prepare content for demand-based professional development opportunities to USAID staff through in-person training courses, webinars, and online short courses
- Other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree (required) with at least 5 years of relevant work experience related to research, education in developing countries, international-related technical experience (preferred)
- International development or other donor experience preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to providing top notch administrative support to growing, fast moving, hard-working teams
- Strong organizational, analytical and troubleshooting skills; detail-oriented; ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks; and able to learn quickly
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to successfully and effectively liaise with people within and across departments in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work independently, resourcefully and on own initiative, with flexibility to changing priorities and an eagerness to learn by doing
- Strong proficiency in MS Excel, PowerPoint and Word; familiarity with Google Drive and related applications
About the Organization
With over 15 years of experience, Dexis specializes in creating custom-tailored, adaptable, and effective international development solutions. Operating in over 70 countries, we support clients like the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), U.S. Department of State, Department of Defense, and other multilateral agencies. We are one of the fastest growing firms in international development and our staff report some of the highest levels of job satisfaction in our industry.
Dexis is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled or Vietnam Era veteran of the US Armed Forces.