The External Affairs Associate provides support to the External Affairs department, encompassing communications, marketing, and fundraising efforts. This position contributes to day-to-day operations related to database management and fundraising activities, event logistics and internal and external communications. This position requires prior experience, education or training in order to support at the Associate level.
We are seeking a dynamic candidate who brings enthusiasm and organizational skills. Our ideal candidate is eager to join a team that thrives on expanding networks and supporting mission-driven programs. The ideal person for this job has experience in communication, outreach, or fundraising support, and is committed to contributing their efforts to build Internews’ success in these areas.
Internews is a diverse, global organization. We value the perspectives that result from the inclusivity of different voices, and the foundation of our work is to support free and open communications between individuals and groups of all backgrounds. We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven people who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We are an EEO employer and strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for any of our open positions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES, other duties as assigned:
- Manage contacts database including data entry, maintain data integrity, create and run reports, sync to e-mail database.
- Create, maintain, and report on list segmentation within the contacts database.
- Support the logistical planning and execution of events such as fundraising galas, brown bag and panel discussions, and small meetings.
- Draft and disseminate fundraising meeting minutes and track action items.
- Draft donor handouts and brochures; donor emails, updates and inquiries; concept notes and proposals.
- Prepare donor briefing packets.
- Maintain development calendars and timelines for reports, funding renewals, donor meetings.
- Print publicity materials and assemble publicity folders.
- Prepare internal metrics reports and maintain department calendars.
- Carry-out research related to events, speaking opportunities, and media outreach opportunities.
- Support management of department budget including tracking expenses, receipts, and credit card reconciliation.
- Draft internal and external written communications, including web content, print collateral, and social media content.
- Represent Internews at outside events.
- Operate and maintain communication systems such as photo archive and internal information management tools.
- Offers administrative support to the VP for External Affairs as requested.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience in communications, outreach, or fundraising
- Bachelors degree required
- Extraordinary attention to detail
- Database experience, including data entry, report creation, and solid understanding of data integrity
- Experience with Salesforce, or other relational database software preferred
- Experience with email tools such as Constant Contact, MailChimp, MyEmma and CRM systems
- Strong word processing and spreadsheet skills (Microsoft Office)
- Experience with web and print design (Web publishing, Adobe Creative Suite) preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and research skills
- Ability to work efficiently and reliably
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse staff
- Positive attitude, professional presence, and flexibility in responding to the requirements of the position.
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed
About the Organization
Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.