The Program Support team at Internews is adding to its adaptable, capable, and energetic team to support a range of program and operations functions from our office in Washington, DC. Our team sets targets and plans to achieve them for the program units, organizes internal quality reviews, and provides surge support and troubleshooting across our 80-country portfolio of programs. In 2020, we will lead a strategic project to ensure accountability to our partners, and take up direct implementation of a number of global programs. The Program Associate will support all of these initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Organize surveys, interviews, and other feedback mechanisms; provide analysis of findings for follow-up to senior staff;
- Contribute to event planning for major staff conferences;
- Prepare program documents such as concept notes, best practices guidelines, program standards, and reports; write, edit, proof, revise and assemble finished materials;
- Assist with proposal development, which may include drafting proposal M&E plans, drafting logframes, proposal budgets, budget notes, or sections of technical narratives;
- Assist in onboarding of new program managers, organizing training calls, providing documents, and logistics;
- Assist in internal communications of strategic information related to program team priorities, current activities, and needs across service and administration departments;
- Develop presentations, briefing materials, and talking points for senior staff on programs, operations, and technical issues;
- Collect invoices, arrange payments, coordinate consulting assignments, and track progress on tasks;
- Provide surge support to regional programs teams, as needed;
- Support operations for the team, including reimbursements for expenses and credit card reconciliations;
- Coordinate and, when needed, participate in outreach meetings for Internews to other NGOs, funders, and government officials;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Relevant University degree required
- Superior analytical, organizational and writing ability;
- Demonstrated success in undertaking new projects, adapting as conditions change, and finding solutions
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate;
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening;
- Ability to take initiative;
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively;
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability;
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member;
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments;
- The proven ability, or overwhelming desire, to work in a multicultural environment requiring coordination across multiple time zones and the potential for international travel;
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement about joining a supportive, skilled, and diverse team.
- Ability to legally work in the United States
- Up to 3 years experience in international development, journalism, or international business experience;
- International work or travel experience;
- Experience or a demonstrated interest in journalism, information science, data science, human rights, internet policy, or related subjects;
- Language skills in addition to English, including French, Arabic, Spanish, Russian and others;
- Experience with financial management and familiarity with USAID rules and regulations, contracts management in particular;
- Experience with Adobe InDesign and other desktop publishing;
- Experience with event planning and/or arranging logistics for project implementation abroad;
- Experience preparing expense reports and budgets
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
About the Organization
Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
For close to 35 years and in more than 100 countries, we have worked with our local partners to build hundreds of sustainable organizations, strengthened the capacity of thousands of media professionals, human rights activists, and information entrepreneurs, and reached millions of people with quality, local information, improving lives and building lasting change. Our decentralized and entrepreneurial model gives us the local flexibility to find the best solutions and the nimbleness required to work in a rapidly changing, uncertain and complex world. On issues ranging from health and the environment to conflict and governance, Internews has developed approaches that harness the power of media and information to create positive change.