Position: Program Development Officer
Location: Washington DC (80%); Field (20%)
Reports to: Head of Programs
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a leading global change organization and home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
Summary: The program development officer works with the program teams and program development efforts to identify and secure new program opportunities to expand the core Mission areas of Relief International (RI). S/he plays a key role in program assessment, design and evaluation; proposal writing, program recruitment, daily operations, and public/donor relations.
- Conducts assessments, designs programs to meet needs of target populations, writes grant and investment proposals, and advocates proposal approval by donors.
- Evaluates program results and makes recommendations for future program directions and design of future programming.
- The PD Officer will be providing 50% Program Development Support to Programs Management Teams (for development efforts generated by the Country Offices, Country Desks)
- Providing oversight to Country Desk Teams on donor issues letter preparations and responses (desk teams do the preparation, while this position would be providing hands-on oversight/cross-checking on submissions quality and completeness)
- Reviewing proposal budgets against RI standards and strategic planning goals; coordinating revisions with Country Desk Teams
- Reviewing existing grants budget modifications against RI standards and strategic planning goals; coordinating revisions with Country Desk Teams
- Per above, working with Programs Teams to build individual / team capacities in program development areas 50% Opportunity Identification, Donor Cultivation Support, and Proposal Preparation
- Capacity building funding for Institutional improvement of humanitarian and development service delivery and community impact
- Takes lead on writing and budgeting of grant and other proposal submissions, coordinating with field and HQ staff.
- Updates operating and recruitment procedures, in coordination with the Director of Finance and Administration and the Human Resources Specialist, especially as it relates to new program development.
- Visits and monitors field activities to work with field teams on new program
- Advises field officers on conduct and direction of program as it relates to new program development and expansion, field assessments, agency policies and donor requirements and new business opportunities.
- Researches sources of funding for on-going and new programs, prepares analyses of potential donors, and drafts grant proposals and funding requests in coordination with the executive director.
- Facilitates the recruitment of expatriate staff for programs by communicating with prospective candidates, and circulating resumes to relevant headquarters and field officers.
- Assists in preparing public relations materials such as brochures, information sheets, newsletters, and annual reports.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in business, agriculture or other technical area related to the core sectors – finance, water, energy, agriculture and/or natural resourced management. MUST have a business or technical background to apply.
- Seven years related international experience, both at the field and headquarters levels. In-depth knowledge of international development programming.
- Excellent writing and research skills and high level of computer literacy, including previous proposal writing experience and success at winning USAID and private foundation/sector awards. MUST have previous proposal writing experience to apply.
- Strong budgeting and financial forecasting skills, including experience in preparing business plans. MUST have budgeting experience to apply.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate complex activities, meet deadlines, and exercise sound judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team or independently.
- French fluency a plus.
This is a US-based position, and a candidate must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Application Procedure: To be considered for this recruitment, please submit a cover letter, references and resume with the date of availability to email@example.com. The email subject line should include the following: Program Development Officer (PDO).