Jhpiego seeks a Program Director to provide vision, leadership and direction to ensure the strategic, programmatic, technical, and financial integrity for an upcoming United States government (USG)-funded community-based HIV program in Zambia. The program aims to reduce the number of new HIV infections and other sexually transmitted infections among members of the Zambian Defense Force (ZDF), their families, and the civilian communities served by the Zambian Military through targeted, mobile HIV testing services and partner notification, linkage to treatment and prevention services, prevention activities for priority populations including Uniformed Service members and sex workers, prevention of mother-to-child HIV transmission, and support for adherence and viral suppression. The project will operate over a three-year period.
The Program Director will have the overall responsibility for leadership and management and reporting of project activities. S/he will be responsible for making key decisions and solving problems in short timeframes while ensuring operational and project quality and integrity. S/he will serve as the project’s main point of contact with the donor, on routine and strategic matters. S/he will also ensure effective organizational management and communication with the host country government at all levels, and international partners and agencies.
This position is contingent upon award from USG. Zambian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to ensure programmatic and financial integrity of the project and to achieve rapid and sustained goals, objectives and targets
- Ensure that project is technically sound, evidence-based and responsive to the needs of Zambia, its people and donors
- Ensure compliance with the terms of the award
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with USG, the Ministry of Health (MOH), as well as ZDF, private sector partners and other key stakeholders in Zambia to maximize resources and avoid duplication of effort
- Represent Jhpiego and the project’s progress, achievements and lessons learned to donors, other key stakeholders, and through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Provide technical leadership and ensure the quality and sustainability of interventions
- Collaborate with project team to build capacity within HIV testing, prevention and care and treatment, family planning (FP) gender-based violence (GBV), OVC-center programming, along with other integrated HIV activities
- Lead the annual work planning process in close collaboration with ZDF, USG, MOH and the project team
- Oversee the quality, preparation, and timely submission of project reports to donor
- Mentor, support, supervise and manage a team of highly qualified staff and align their efforts to ensure rapid and sustainable results
- Provide guidance, in collaboration with staff, to subcontractors and sub-grantees
- Write and/or review project materials and publications
- Work with finance and project staff to develop and track project budgets
- Work with Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) staff to develop M&E frameworks and effectively track data/results
- Work closely with Jhpiego home office staff to ensure effective, timely and coordinated project implementation
- Ensure compliance with USG operational policies and regulations
- Advanced degree (Masters minimum) in public health, health administration, international health or a related field; MD preferred
- Previous experience serving as Program Director or senior level management
- 10+ years’ experience successfully managing large, multi-partner, multi-year international health sector development projects (approximately $10M per year) that have implemented successful activities in HIV care and treatment, testing, prevention, GBV prevention, STI and TB screening, OVC-specific programing, FP, and other integrated HIV activities
- Experience in management in an integrated, comprehensive, clinic-based program environment
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in establishing project systems and overseeing project start-up and close-out
- Demonstrated experience in more than one of the following technical areas: HIV prevention including ART, VMMC, PrEP, HIV testing, care and treatment, GBV, OVC programming, FP, as well as HIV integrated technical areas
- Previous experience working in Zambia, with intimate understanding of local health system and HIV testing, prevention, care and treatment gaps and opportunities, and solid relationships at government agencies
- Experience hiring and supervising personnel and ensuring they acquire the necessary training and skills to meet evolving project needs
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USG, ZDF, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as multilateral and international donors and local and international NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Experience in working effectively with district, provincial and national government authorities
- In-depth knowledge of USG projects, regulations, compliance and reporting requirements
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership, strategic thinking, organizational, team-building, and representational skills
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building, and coordination
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in regional and national projects and technical staff
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 suite, including word processing
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally up to 50%, as needed
About the Organization
Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to provide high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.