Position: Program Director
Reports to: Country Director
Location: Garowe, Somalia
ABOUT RI: Relief International is a leading non-profit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. RI specializes in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty. Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which RI calls The RI Way — emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills.
Under the supervision of the Country Director, the Program Director will be responsible for the management and growth of RI Somalia’s multi-sectoral (health, nutrition, WASH and FSL) program portfolio, including but not limited to program management, budget management, strategic planning, team management and representation and coordination. The Program Director will also lead program development efforts for RI Somalia’s multi-sectoral portfolio, focusing on mobilization, effective scale up and management of RI health, nutrition, FSL and WASH programs.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
Program management and strategy
- Assist the Country Director in leading the development and implementation of overall program strategy.
- Overall responsible effective programmatic and financial management of RI Somalia projects through effective project cycle management.
- Ensure timely submission of accurate, comprehensive, and high quality, project narrative (and financial) reports in line with agency and donor guidelines.
- Encourage a culture of learning and innovation, ensuring that all projects capture and document lessons learned and best practices.
- In collaboration with Regional Program Development Manager, identify and monitor business development opportunities and trends. Relief International March 2019 2
- Lead the development of innovative, high-quality, responsive and evidence-based concept notes and proposals for funding.
- Provide ideas, feedback and best practices and approaches to and collaborate closely with RI technical staff to design innovative, integrated programming.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise staff for the RI Somalia health, nutrition, FSL and WASH teams.
- Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, contribute to the recruitment process of staff, and complete performance management for direct reports.
- Ensure positive and collaborative working relationships in line with RI’s Code of Conduct.
Representation and coordination
- Actively participate in sector meetings and working groups to represent RI, present best practices from RI Somalia and RI needs assessments, learn from other partners, collect relevant information and report on RI implementation.
- Coordinate with RI’s technical field teams, RI’s Technical Advisory Department (TAD), WHO, UNICEF, Clusters and other technical agencies to ensure that standard guidelines and best practices are followed.
- Maintain effective working relationships related to activities with representatives of relevant government ministries, universities, NGOs and contractors, implementing partners, and other key stakeholders.
- Understand and adhere to Relief International established policies and procedures for administration, finance, procurement, data management and beneficiary data protection, child protection, Code of Conduct (including Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and Harassment) and security management;
- Reinforcing and ensuring compliance to policies and procedures and support of Child Protection Focal Point;
- Be flexible and willing to support the team as is needed.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred. Public health background preferred.
- Minimum of four years management of humanitarian programming experience in project cycle management, preferably in low income/conflict-affected countries.
- Experience in grant writing and fund raising, experience working with OFDA, ECHO, DFID, UN Agencies etc.
- In-depth knowledge of and experience working with displacement issues and related international standards and frameworks, SPHERE standards, humanitarian coordination mechanisms and accountability principles. Relief International March 2019 3
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with Somalia government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies, national and international staff.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cross-cultural communication and ease in managing a multi-cultural team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Prior experience in Somalia an added advantage.
- Experience working in security-sensitive environments and enforcement of team security protocols is an asset.
RI upholds the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. RI values:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
HOW TO APPLY:
For consideration please submit a detailed CV and cover letter latest by May 9, 2019. Due to the critical nature of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and applicants will be interviewed prior to the closing date that may appear on any of the job boards where this is posted. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Relief International (RI) is committed to upholding the rights of all children and vulnerable adults that we serve and those that we interact with in the course of our work to be protected from all forms of abuse and exploitation as outlined in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and Inter Agency Standing Committee (IASC) six core principles on Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA). RI has zero tolerance to beneficiaries’ and staff abuse and exploitation. ’RI will also conduct references and criminal background checks on the selected candidate/s for this role
About the Organization
About RI: Relief International specializes in relief and development programs that benefit people in acute distress. A registered non-profit in the US, UK, France and Belgium, our work targets those fragile countries or communities that suffer from recurrent man-made or natural crises that impede human development. The people that we serve live in seventeen countries across the Middle East, Africa, and Asia where the debilitating effects of political instability, forced displacement, and natural disasters are pervasive. Often, RI is the only organization providing healthcare, education, logistics, energy, capacity building, economic development, sanitation, and many other forms of assistance to these highly vulnerable communities.