Position: Program Director
Reports to: Country Director
Duration: 1 year (with potential to extend)
Relief International (RI) specializes in relief and development programs that benefit people in acute distress. A registered non-profit in the US, UK, France and Belgium, our work targets those fragile countries or communities that suffer from man-made or natural crises that impede human development. The people that we serve live in 14 countries across the Middle East, Africa, and Asia where the debilitating effects of political instability, forced displacement, and natural disasters are pervasive. RI has been working in Jordan since 2004, providing vital services to refugees and vulnerable host communities across the country.
The Program Director will be responsible for developing, planning and leading RI’s program implemented in Jordan, ensuring successful implementation of all projects within the portfolio, program quality assurance, donor compliance, coordination with external stakeholders, grants and personnel management, and program development. The position reports directly to the Country Director for Jordan. The Program Director will also coordinate closely with RI-Jordan Heads of Departments and members of RI’s Regional Support Office.
Essential Position Responsibilities and Duties:
Program Management Oversight:
- Act as the primary point of contact with regards to overall management matters regarding the program. This includes, but is not limited to, empowering and supporting staff (Managers) to make decisions within their level, taking leadership to resolve issues at the level of a Program Director, and collaborating with Country Director for resolution of issues at a higher level or if assistance is requested.
- Focus on program quality assurance, utilizing innovative approaches and technical support as appropriate and feasible.
- Ensure development and follow up of project mobilization and work plans for projects within RI-Jordan portfolio.
- Ensure high quality drafting and timely submission of all reports required by the donor(s).
- Ensure satisfactory management of project budgets for projects within Jordan portfolio. This will require close coordination with Finance Manager and Program Managers.
- Ensure effective management and communication of program partners.
- Prioritize capacity-building of partners and staff as much as feasible within limitations such as budget, human resources, etc.
- Oversee to ensure project implementation is on track per work plans and agreements, including developing and implementing solutions as necessary within a complex operational space.
- Oversee development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and tools to support implementation and monitoring of the project.
- Ensure the high quality start-up and closeout of all projects within the RI-Jordan portfolio.
- Lead on development of RI Jordan’s program strategy for 2020 and beyond, including reviewing and adapting as necessary depending on the changes.
- Stay updated regarding developments/changes to the operational environment nationally and in the locations and sectors where RI operates – including, but not limited to political developments, major/relevant security developments/incidents, key programming initiatives by other stakeholders.
- Keep Country Director and relevant Jordan-based staff well-informed regarding emerging issues related to the implementation of the program, including changes within the operational context.
- Proactively ensure RI’s reputation as a key actor implementing programming inside Jordan by consistently representing RI and participating in networking opportunities.
- Ensure coordination with/active engagement in relevant sector working groups, and bi-laterally with other implementing agencies as appropriate.
- Work closely with Country Director to identify potential donors for funding projects in Jordan, including participating in donor meetings and other forms of direct donor engagement.
- Oversee conducting assessments to inform program development initiatives for programming in Jordan.
- Identify new partners and other key stakeholders to work with for new projects and to expand/ deepen RI-Jordan’s portfolio.
- Lead on designing new programs which are supported by data and strong information well-coordinated with other actors in cooperation with the Country Director, Grants Coordinator and any other relevant program teams.
Team Management and Employee Supervision:
- Build and reinforce RI-Jordan’s Program Department with a focus on developing internal systems/processes to facilitate program quality, compliance, and accommodate change.
- Ensure the high-quality management of staff in the Program Department, and for those within the department directly supervised by the Job Holder, this should focus on: employee relations; task delegation with timely follow-up/feedback provided; teamwork and collaboration; completion of performance evaluations; and leaves’ management among others.
- Provide guidance to staff collectively and individually as appropriate on all issues related to program implementation and program development as it relates to their roles.
- Support capacity building and training initiatives of staff within the Program Department within the limitations of scheduling, resources and budget.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- At least five years of managerial experience implementing complex donor-funded projects, with an emphasis on those that focus on humanitarian assistance to vulnerable communities and partnership management.
- Experience with reporting, budgeting and grants management.
- At least three years experience working in the Middle East and/ or post-conflict setting; direct experience working in Syria a plus.
- Graduate degree in Education, Health, International Relations, Program Management, or related field.
- Solid knowledge of several donor regulations.
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Team player with strong negotiation/ collaborative communication skills.
- Dedication to the mission.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Strategic thinking.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, representation and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, both independently and with teams
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment and to multi-task to meet deadlines
- Promotes teamwork, contributes towards building team consensus and acts as a team player
- Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and take initiative to propose solutions
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation