osition: Program Director
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Duration: TBC Contract Duration
Reports: Country Director
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
Position Summary: The Program Director provide overall development and oversight of program work plans (interim and annual) and budgets based on expected program outputs and results with team members. He/she will manage partnerships with international organizations, local ministries and municipalities, and civil society organizations.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Portfolio Oversight & Leadership
- Provide strategic direction and overall supervision and successful implementation of RI’s Afghanistan portfolio, which includes a blend of development and humanitarian programs.
- Manage a team of international and national Program Managers.
- Provide overall development and oversight of program work plans (interim and annual) and budgets based on expected program outputs and results with team members.
- Ensure timely mobilization of projects, provide monthly project/grant review and oversight, and provide strategic oversight throughout the entire project lifecycle.
- Liaise and consult with all donors, acting as the main representative and principal interlocutor for program-related issues.
- Manage partnerships with international organizations, local ministries and municipalities, and civil society organizations.
- Ensure sound administrative practices with regards to record keeping, compliance with donor regulations, communications, etc.
- Oversee Grants Unit, ensuring compliance with donor reporting requirements.
- Ensure regular, timely communication and provide updates to RI’s Regional Support Office on portfolio health and grant progress
- Manage recruitment of national and international staff and ensure that all internal administrative and HR policies and procedures are followed in accordance with established RI standard practices.
- Supervise and provide support to local and international consultants and staff hired to assist and work on grants within the Afghanistan portfolio.
- Monitor project implementation to determine the extent to which goals are being met; determine action to improve achievements.
- Lead high-quality project design incorporating project management standards and M&E methods, appropriate to scope, context and technical requirements of projects. Coordinate planning of activities across various projects from different sectors to ensure integration of program interventions and efficiency in implementation;
- Support the development of high quality proposals and budgets that are relevant and include input from key stakeholders (finance, operations, programs, partners, etc.). This may include leading needs assessments, compiling/editing of the technical narrative, incorporating feedback from a variety of stakeholders, writing budget narratives, drafting of required annexes, etc.
- Ensure overall audit compliance, financial transparency through supervision and direction of financial and administrative staff.
- Maintain a suitable image for RI in Afghanistan.
- Travel within Afghanistan to ensure the well performance and implementation of the program.
- Coordinate activities internally with other RI programs in Afghanistan.
- Represent RI at high level meetings.
- Work closely with grant counterparts in DC and Manila to ensure coordination and adherence to proposal timelines and requirements.
- Conduct field brainstorming meetings (e.g. co-facilitate program design and lessons learned meetings) and synthesize informational for technical proposals, competitive positioning, and strategic decision-making
- Conduct regular donor mapping as needed, collating cross-sector information management and drafting funding requests in coordination with the Program Director.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- University or Masters degree, with 5-7 years of experience working with an international NGO.
- Strong budget oversight / management experience. The candidate should be comfortable supporting with budget realignment and identifying the proper coding/classification of costs
- Ability to prioritize and deal with competing demands.
- Experience in project grants management, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc., preferably for projects funded by multiple public donors, including USAID.
- Experience with successful business development activities capturing public and/or private donor funding.
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions
- Able and willing to network with external stakeholders and represent RI with partners and donors
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities
- Presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
About the Organization
About Relief International.
Relief International (RI) is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four members of the RI Alliance in the USA, UK, France, and Belgium. Under our alliance agreement, we operate under a single, shared management structure with one CEO and one Board of Directors.
About our Programs.
RI is active in 16 countries around the world, including some of the most fragile: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen. Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
RI employs 7,000+ staff and auxiliary workers
97% of staff are in-country nationals
We only have some 90 ex-pat staff out of 7,000+
RI spent $125 million in 2019 on our programs.
RI invests in four broad program sectors: Economic Opportunity, Education, Health, and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH). We design our programs to incorporate The RI Way: local participation, integrated programming, the development of civic skills, and partnerships including with local NGOs, governments, and the private sector.
RI supports solutions that reinforce and improve upon existing in-country systems. Where such systems do not exist or are chronically underperforming, RI’s crisis response lays the foundation for long-term, sustainable change.