Position Program Director – Middle East
Location Washington DC (70%); Field (30%)
About RI: Relief International (RI), an international relief and development agency with cross-sectoral programs bridging relief and development, currently seeks a Program Director.
Under the supervision of the Vice President of Programs, the Middle East Program Director administers Relief International’s (RI) country programs, manages grants and contracts compliances and supports new program development opportunities in collaboration with the field and program development team. In addition, he/she plays a key role in program assessment, design and evaluation, program recruitment, daily operations, proposal writing, and public relations. The Program Director serves as the vital coordination link between field officers, the headquarters office, and donors. The Program Director oversees the HQ desk officer team supporting daily operations in the region.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
• Direct the planning, implementation and monitoring of the numerous projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine and Iraq according to donor requirements and regulations
• Oversee the recruitment, contracting and supervision of locally-hired RI staff members and international short-term consultants
• Supervise and manage team of Middle East desk program officers and program assistants.
• Serve as primary liaison for the Middle East Department to other departments.
• Direct and coordinate Middle East-based activities to ensure effective operations consistent with RI objectives.
• Directly supervise and mentor Country Directors and their management teams for each of the country programs under the Regional Desk; provides overall guidance and motivation to RI field staff.
• Authorize all programmatic documentation for submission and dissemination.
• Authorize the submission of periodic narrative program reports to donor in a timely, compliant and consistent manner.
• Read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures, and local government regulations.
• Authorize and/or perform Program Mid-Term and Final Evaluation process.
• Promote RI program results and impact with partners in the international relief and transitional development community, government representatives and to general public.
• Update operating and recruitment procedures, in coordination with the Director of Finance and Administration and the Human Resources Director.
• Travels regularly to field offices to ensure program implementation goes according to plan. Visits and monitors field activities and prepares reports.
• Liaise with appropriate representatives of donor agencies, UN agencies, international organizations, institutions and other NGOs for the coordination and collaboration necessary for development and implementation of effective projects.
• Evaluate program results and makes recommendations for future program directions.
• Supervise timely submission of project reports (narrative and financial) to donors
• Facilitate the recruitment of expatriate staff for programs by communicating with prospective candidates and conducting final interviews
• Advises program staff and CDs on conduct and direction of programs, field assessments, agency policies and donor requirements.
• Promote and champion HQ’s relationship-building with field staff, donors, and partner organizations.
• Review analyses of project activities, costs, operations, and forecast data to determine progress toward stated goals and objectives.
• Work closely with Finance Director on legal and financial matters pertaining to the organization’s international field programs.
• Draft and review all agreements with federal government and private donors.
• Track financial aspects of program implementation, including budgets, projection of expenses, pipeline analysis, and processing of expenses.
• Monitor and analyze program implementation and performance that includes, program objectives and indicators, budgets, donor regulations, and compliances.
• Supervise development of concept papers, project proposals and responses to RFAs.
• Support technical writing of proposals when necessary.
• Assist in preparing public relations materials such as brochures, information sheets, newsletters, and annual reports.
• Work with Program Development Director to develop and maintain strategy for ongoing country programs.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
• Background/ experience in community development, local economic development, microfinance, conflict mitigation, education and youth programming, humanitarian relief or similar fields.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Strong leadership and teambuilding skills, staff management and capacity building experience.
• Strong planning, management and problem-solving skills.
• Highly organized, attentive to detail and systems-oriented.
• Experience taking on roles with increasing responsibility and accountability
• Experience managing a team of 4 or more members
• Experience developing proposals for the US government, UN and other related agencies.
• Experience managing USAID grants.
• International experience in developing nations preferred.
• Professional interest and experience in Middle East.
• M.A. in international development, social sciences or related field
• ****US citizenship or valid US residency/work permit required
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Application Procedure: To be considered for this recruitment, please submit a cover letter, resume, salary history, 3 professional supervisory references (whom we may contact after a second interview) with the date of availability to . Incomplete applications will not be considered. The email subject line should include the following: Program Director Middle East.