Position: PROGRAM DIRECTOR (PD)
Nationality: American National (AN)
Required Clearance: Secret Clearance
DIRECTLY REPORTS TO: Tetra Tech DPK Senior Project Director
Tetra Tech seeks candidates to be considered for PROGRAM DIRECTOR (PD) position on the INL-funded Justice Sector Support Program (JSSP ) in Afghanistan.
JSSP’s primary objective is to support the development of an Afghan professional cadre that is capable of sustaining, equipping, managing, and enabling its own criminal justice organizations. JSSP provides training and capacity building for Afghan officials in the Ministry of Justice (MOJ), Attorney General’s Office (AGO), Supreme Court (SCt), Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MOWA), and other justice sector organizations. The project has three main components:
Case Management System (CMS): CMS is an online application designed to track criminal and civil cases. The CMS is intended to harmonize and interlink justice institutions to effectively perform their functions.
Organizational Capacity Building (OCB): This component focuses on capacity building for justice institution personnel and ensuring that justice institutions are able to fulfill their mandates and operate independently.
Legislative Capacity Building (LCB): JSSP’s efforts in LCB contribute to ensuring that laws and related documents are coherent, comply with the Constitution, treaties and conventions, and incorporate internationally recognized standards for the protection of women and vulnerable groups.
Overall Duties: The Justice Sector Support Program (JSSP) Program Director has primary responsibility for all aspects of contract execution. The Program Director is responsive to and coordinates closely with the Department of State (DOS) Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL) Program Office and Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) to ensure effective contract management. The Program Director also interfaces with the COR on contractual matters of the project.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Ensure overall compliance with all contract and U.S. Government regulations pertaining to the implementation of the JSSP contract
- Review and submit client approval requests with final authority; responsible for the quality and content of all submissions to INL
- Submit contractual notices and respond to request for information from INL Washington, DC in a timely manner
- Lead efforts for proposing and negotiating modifications to the contract as required
- Serve as the primary point person on the PMO for troubleshooting operational challenges and developing timely and appropriate solutions
- Oversee PMO activities and serve as the primary point person for providing guidance and making final decisions as to a course of action; liaise with the Tetra Tech Senior Project Director to ensure that audit risk/disallowed costs are prevented and that client expectations are met
- Serve as the direct supervisor for the Operations Manager, Project Officer, and Project Specialist
- Monitor PMO activities and delegate tasks to ensure a balanced workload among team members and timely responses/completion of tasks to meet project objectives
- Responsible for submission of quarterly project PEEAC and quarterly Corporate Risk Review presentation submission to Tetra Tech management
- Report on monthly JSSP Management Indicators to Tetra Tech management
- Track project profitability and serve as the decision maker on day-to-day spending to maximize profitability; coordinate with the Tetra Tech Senior Project Director and Senior Finance Director on decision making in case of profitability impact
- Review and approve the Tetra Tech Annual Operating Plan and Mid-Year Forecast commitments for submission and ensure project revenue is within 10 percent of figures submitted
- Oversee ongoing recruitment efforts for international staff and consultants and ensure
that any technical or operational gaps on the project are filled in a timely manner
- Oversee the work of the PMO on recruitment of Afghan nationals to ensure project staffing numbers are maximized
- Actively participate in recruitment and selection of JSSP personnel based on position description qualifications
- Facilitate regularly-scheduled project technical and recruitment meetings and maintain minutes/priority lists to track action items
- Lead meetings with INL staff and maintain meeting minutes
- Responsible for timely submission of project deliverables and review prior to client submission
- Ensure that Tetra Tech standards for professionalism and quality of work product are met in regular progress reports, ensuring compliance with Tetra Tech DPK Style Manual and client requirements. Ensure that success stories are submitted on a regular basis – no less than one time per month
- Track completion of workplan activities on a weekly basis
- Provide support to field team for programmatic deliverables as requested
- Engage short-term technical experts both prior to onboarding, and after completion of assignment, to ensure sound technical implementation and coherency with consultant contract deliverables; in coordination with Chief of Team and Subject Matter Expert, draft scopes of work for short-term technical experts, verify reports for accuracy and professionalism and sign off on work product with final authority
- Report to INL on the status of key project deliverables and contract objectives
- Oversee the contract deliverables contained in the PRO Plan in order to ensure completion and timely delivery, accuracy of information, and overall progression toward contract objectives
- Travel to JSSP offices in Afghanistan four times per year to observe and oversee program personnel and operations, and meet with U.S. Government officials
- Other duties as assigned
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in senior management roles that include strategic planning, program management, resource management, and budgeting
- A minimum of two years of experience in managing complex, international programs of comparable scope to JSSP
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution; Master’s degree preferred
- Working knowledge and experience in managing international development and/or rule of law programs preferred
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Superior writing and communication skills
Please submit a cover letter and resume to ApplyJSSP@tetratech.com referencing the job title and project name in the subject line. No phone calls,
About the Organization
Tetra Tech is a global, leading consulting firm providing practical and sustainable international development services. From promoting peace, stability, rule of law, and economic growth, to health and education, to improved natural resource management, Tetra Tech brings an integrated approach that is focused on building the capacity of communities and individuals to create strong, healthy, and resilient societies. With over 16,000 employees in over 400 offices across the globe, Tetra Tech’s capabilities encompass the full life cycle of solutions. Tetra Tech is committed to diversity and gender equality in all of its operations, both in the US and overseas. We strive to reflect these goals in our global mission and in our workforce. We encourage applications from women and underrepresented ethnic, racial, and cultural groups. Tetra Tech is proud to be an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.