Work Location : Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Contract : 1 year
Reports to : Country Representative, American Red Cross, Bangladesh
The American Red Cross International Services Department (ISD) seeks to prevent and alleviate human suffering around the world by responding to disasters, building safer, more resilient communities, and educating future humanitarians. With programs and partners in 70 countries, American Red Cross is working to strengthen the global Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement in order to deliver critical assistance to some of the most vulnerable communities in the world, reaching 100 million people annually.
Following the significant population movement of over 700,000 persons from northern Rakhine, Myanmar into Bangladesh since late August 2017, Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS) is scaling up its efforts for providing immediate and mid-term support to the affected populations in Cox’s Bazar district. This include both populations from Myanmar and host communities. In line with these efforts, American Red Cross Country Office in Bangladesh is scaling up disaster readiness and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) efforts for affected displaced and host communities in the district of Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh.
The American Red Cross is seeking an experienced Program Management Delegate, who also has a strong background in community-based disaster risk reduction (CBDRR) and overall disaster preparedness. S/he will be responsible for the daily management and delivery of American Red Cross’ support to the RCRC Movement response in Cox’s Bazar and will provide surge support to the American Red Cross country team. This is a full-time position for a minimum of 1 year, with potential for extension, to provide operational leadership during the preparedness and response phases for disasters that may affect communities in Cox’s Bazar.
Given the dynamic and fast-paced environment and ongoing humanitarian operations by international agencies in Cox’s Bazar, the candidate must demonstrate proven experience working with government, UN, INGOs, and local actors in emergency and/or refugee environments. An ability to convene partners and communicate effectively is essential. This position will responsible for overseeing implementation of the DRR activities, with integration of relevant sectors (Protection, Gender, & Inclusion; Community Engagement and Accountability, etc.) under the supervision of American Red Cross Bangladesh Country Representative and in coordination with other partners. In addition, this position will support capacity development of RCRC Movement partners, particularly BDRCS, and other relevant stakeholders.
The DM Delegate will be based in Cox’s Barzar, Bangladesh with significant travel to project sites and communities around the country. This is a full-time position for a minimum of 366 days with the possibility of extension. This is an unaccompanied post.
The Program Manager Delegate’s responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
Representation, Relationship Management, Coordination:
- Represent American Red Cross, IFRC, BDRCS, and the overall RCRC Movement to external partners (inter-agency coordination meetings, UN, corporate or private donors, government representatives) contributing to disaster readiness and emergency preparedness in Cox’s Bazar.
- Identify further areas where American Red Cross can provide added value to the disaster readiness efforts in Cox’s Bazar.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with government, UN, and INGO actors for strategic and programmatic purposes, complementing relationship management approaches taken in Dhaka.
- Maintain close coordination with Cyclone Preparedness Program (CPP) and other partners to proactively strengthen community-based awareness and early warning initiatives.
- Manage close working relationships, communication, and coordination with American Red Cross program team, RCRC Movement partners, IFRC response, BDRCS, and other stakeholders involved in the RCRC response, ensuring coherence between American Red Cross programs and wider RCRC approaches (i.e. ‘One Window Approach’).
- Lead American Red Cross’ disaster readiness program for the people from Rakhine living in camp settlements, and ensure alignment with disaster preparedness systems used by host communities where possible.
- Ensure timely and effective implementation the program according to approved plans and budgets, regulations and policies under the supervision of the Country Representative.
- Maintain a focus on quality of programs, and make recommendations as needed to ensure vulnerable populations are reached by appropriate and timely interventions. Identify opportunities to adapt and enhance the project design for by providing technical support, conducting assessments in project sites, and including key stakeholder feedback.
- Ensure engagement and involvement of affected populations, taking into consideration protection, environmental aspects and longer term needs are reflected in the program’s technical design and implementation.
- Collaborate with American Red Cross colleagues and advisors to ensure project design and implementation strategies reflect ISD strategic objectives, industry standards, and donor requirements as well as contribute to broader learning in order to ensure maximum impact of all programs and responses.
- Scale up program as appropriate, through partnerships, consortiums, or other modalities, to ensure vulnerable populations are reached with life-saving disaster readiness interventions.
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, disaster risk management, climate change adaptation, humanitarian assistance, organization development or related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of five years’ experience working within international development, including direct experience managing disaster management, DRR, coastal resilience and/or emergency response projects.
- Previous experience working in developing countries, preferably in South Asia highly desired.
- Experience in refugee or emergency settings an advantage; understanding of UN/international coordination structures essential
- Capacity to engage effectively at operational level with government, UN, INGOs, and other stakeholders.
- Solid understanding of the international humanitarian sector with a focus on participatory planning and local institution capacity building
- Understanding of good practices in humanitarian response to population movement or with stateless populations.
- Demonstrated ability in managing projects, including project design, proposal development, planning, budget preparation, financial tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, BvA analysis.
- Ability to mentor, coach, and lead others in cross-cultural settings.
- Demonstrated experience exploring, managing and strengthening strategic and programmatic partnerships.
- Ability to convene, coordinate, and provide functional leadership in order to achieve shared goals and strategic objectives.
- Ability to contribute to knowledge management processes and document processes in a fast-paced environment for future/long-term programming of American Red Cross in Bangladesh.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills; creative and innovative thinking.
- Ability to create a team environment and coordinate with other departments and the ability to manage time, prioritize tasks, respond quickly to requests.
- Experience working within the International RCRC Movement preferred.
- Good communications skills, written, and spoken, in the English language. Ability to communicate in Bengali will be treated as an additional advantage.
- Excellent computer skills in programs such as: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
About the Organization
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.