Requisition ID: req2020
Job Title: Program Manager
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works to aid in the development of societies in which people have the opportunity to realize their full potential and are supported by institutions and practices that are just, transparent, accountable, inclusive, and which promote and protect rights.
The Governance Technical Unit at the IRC is charged with: providing intellectual leadership and vision around governance programming areas; quality technical support to field staff and partner agencies; targeted support on program design and fundraising; developing innovative research and learning opportunities; and public representation on governance-related policy and programming issues.
The Governance Technical Unit has 11 staff members and an annual budget of $3 million dollars. The Governance Technical Unit receives direct funding from governments, foundations, and private donors.
SCOPE OF WORK:
This position provides grants management, project management, knowledge management, and administrative support to the Governance Technical Unit. This includes assisting the Coordinator for Grants and Operations, to whom this position reports, to directly manage assisted grant portfolios and carrying out administrative tasks for the Director, Deputy Director, Senior Technical Advisors, Technical Advisors, and consultants.
* Provide administrative support to Governance Technical Unit staff on travel requests, consultant requests, and other internal processes.
* Procurement of supplies upon request; coordinating with Global Supply Chain or outside vendors as needed
* Review and submit for approval purchase orders, contract payments and other finance transactions.
* Oversee and manage onboarding of new staff, interns and consultants by ensuring all necessary hiring forms are submitted, equipment is ordered and set up and orientation meetings are scheduled. Provide close assistance to new staff during initial period of employment.
* Assist new Governance Technical Unit staff with organizing desk and meeting spaces
Grants Management Support
* Manage grant proposal development processes of new opportunities from start to finish ensuring compliant and timely submissions
* Work with Coordinator for Grants and Operations to review, track and analyze grant expenditures, review budget versus actual reports on a monthly basis to ensure expenses are in line with grant requirements and projected spending
* Provide administrative support to grants including but not limited to cost-share reporting, consultant hiring, document signing, and managing OTIS (Opportunity Tracking Information System) workflows
* Prepare and submit timely, accurate and relevant donor progress reports, coordinating contributions from country programs and IRC technical units
* Coordinate any modifications and changes to grant agreements
Project Management Support
* Assist on project management for a portfolio of TU-led grants ranging in size between $100,000 to $3,000,000
* Develop and manage detailed implementation plans for projects, with clearly defined roles, responsibilities, dependencies, risks, and timeframes
* Develop and manage logical frameworks to support the effective monitoring for the quality and scope of activities/outputs, and progress towards expected results
* Initiate and facilitate periodic coordination meetings and calls to review project progress, identify opportunities for improved learnings and synergies, and identify corrective action as required
* Work collaboratively with colleagues in the Program Quality Unit and support departments to streamline and improve operational processes and to respond to data inquiries
* Lead the maintenance of the Governance Unit intranet site, including updating the organogram with staffing changes in a timely manner and posting new documents as requested
* Assist in creating and disseminating team newsletters and weekly updates as requested.
Planning and Scheduling
* Assist with the planning and logistics of various conferences and meetings in New York and overseas
* Help manage the Director’s calendar; schedule meetings, respond to emails, and flag in terms of priority as necessary.
* Plan and schedule weekly Governance Unit meetings; maintain the Governance calendar
* Track vacation and sick leave time off for all Governance Technical Unit staff.
* Respond to day-to-day communications in a timely manner, ensuring that relevant team members are informed and copied as necessary.
* Bachelor’s degree required
* Strong Math skills and Microsoft Excel required
* Prior experience in managing public and private grants preferred but not required
* Minimum of one year of work/internship experience, preferably within a non-profit organization, providing administrative support in a fast-paced environment
* Solid organizational skills; detail-oriented; ability to prioritize tasks
* Able to work collaboratively in a team, a flexible work attitude and a calm manner
* Proven writing and editing skills: a quick and accurate reviewer and editor
* Interest in humanitarian aid work, particularly programming in urban contexts, a plus
* Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
* Fluency in French preferred but not required