The Program Manager is responsible for end-to-end management and execution 1-2 of Surgo Foundation programs. In close collaboration with the leadership team of the foundation, the PM will be responsible for designing program and investment areas grounded on deep analytics and strategy work. This role entails strong relationship management with a diverse set of partners including other foundations, implementing organizations, governments and private sector partners. The PM is also responsible for constantly researching and scoping to ensure that the foundation’s mandate and investment are cutting edge and at the same time in line with the policy and strategic plans of partners and government.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Program scoping and strategy development
- Lead the development of key areas of Surgo’s strategy such as new technologies for adherence to medications and improving the adoption of climate smart agriculture practices
- Scope and design new programs – conduct rigorous background research, stakeholder consultations, lead comprehensive design process, develop programs and metrics, etc –in line with Surgo strategy
- Scan the horizon for new partnerships and build long lasting relationships to meet foundations’ goals
- Program Management and Partnership
- Program management from end-to-end including: design, budget development, planning, execution and reporting
- Monitor implementation of individual programs through day-to-day coordination, analysis and review of data, field visits & problem solving
- Provide technical and managerial support to partners on the ground
- Design pilots and operational research to test opportunities for Surgo programs
- Proactively identifies and analyzes areas of risk, advises project team on solutions and preventative measures relate to our goals and the technical area of the project
- Be a source of knowledge for the team through the analysis of literature, policy, and technology as they relate to program area
- Develop compelling stories summarizing our work for a variety of audiences and seek opportunities to disseminate knowledge, key learnings and products developed through Surgo investments
- Draft key documents, reports, presentations, and other communications materials for a variety of purposes and audiences, summarizing developments and recommendations for program areas and external partners
- Partner Relationship Management
- Represent the vision and voice of the foundation in line with the foundation’s communication and advocacy strategy
- Lead engagement with key partners and translates partner perspectives and goals to the team
- Engage in high-quality interactions with partners and organizations – including grantees, foundations, governments and private sector
- Undertake other duties as requested by the leadership
Core knowledge and skills:
- Demonstrated initiative to solve unstructured problems with little oversight, flexibility, high energy, and a positive attitude
- Creative problem solver and strategic thinker with a rigorous approach and passion for working on some of the world’s toughest development challenges
- Experience designing and scoping new programs, initiatives, and partnerships
- Ability to use data and new approaches to drive social impact
- Master storyteller with ability to craft compelling narratives and presentations for variety of audiences
- Excellent stakeholder management skills including proven track record of building relationships and working in a challenging multi-stakeholder environment
- Excellent project management skills including managing work plans, budgets, partners, and grants/contracts
- Resulted oriented, highly-organized and efficient; able to prioritize work based on minimal direction and multiple competing priorities
- Experience or familiarity with field data collection, and research methods
- Creativity, broad knowledge, and out-of-the-box thinking
- Experience working in the social impact / global development landscape including partners, donors, and governments
- Entrepreneurial mindset, self-motivating, and ability to develop independent recommendations
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree; master/doctorate degree big plus
- ~4+ years of work experience in a field requiring both analytics and exceptional presentation skills, consulting experience strongly preferred
- Experience working in health, global development and/or social impact
- Excellent analytical (qualitative and quantitative) and communication (written, verbal and visual presentation) skills
- Entrepreneurial mindset, including ability to work independently, self-motivate, and propose and implement new initiatives
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and problem solve in a fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment
- High level of proficiency with statistical methods and ability to use data science to drive program design and implementation
- Willingness to travel if required and at short notice, even to remote places at times
- US work permit (required)
Reporting: The Program Manager will report to the Director or Programs
Location: Washington DC, USA
Travel: International and national travel (20-25%)
Our hiring philosophy-
We hire for passion and core competencies. We look for problem solvers and lateral thinkers. We love it if you have done different things with your time. If you think you are ideal for this position, write to us even if you don’t have all of the above requirements.
Interested candidates: Please send resume and cover letter to Hannah Kemp
- Closing date for applications: Rolling basis
- Desired start date: ASAP
About the Organization
Surgo Foundation brings precision solutions that save and improve lives by integrating behavioral science and artificial intelligence. With a laser focus on uncovering the ‘why’, we partner with organizations and governments to help unlock some of their biggest challenges. Surgo works on major global issues from family planning in India to maternal health in the US. We are a group of extremely curious data scientists, behavioral scientists, and subject matter experts who are passionate about solving tough problems.
Our organization is growing fast and we are looking for a versatile program manager. Someone who knows not only how to manage programs but can also lead key pieces of organizational strategy and scope new programs. Someone who is passionate about using data to drive social impact. Someone who can bring rigorous, strategic thinking while getting in the weeds of designing and managing programs. Someone who is highly adaptable and can work across technical areas (from agriculture to HIV). The role provides an avenue for career growth inside a young and dynamic organization and an opportunity to shape strategy and partnerships.
Do you have a deep passion for improving the lives of people who live in extreme poverty around the world?
Do you want to work in one of the most entrepreneurial social impact organizations?
Are you willing to roll up your sleeves and be part of a core team that grows this organization, and grow with it?
Are you a problem solver by nature? Do you live and breathe data and see patterns in it that others don’t?
Would people say you are one of the most analytic, curious and creative people they know?
If yes…we look forward to hearing from you…