The Digital Impact Alliance (DIAL) is a global alliance to enable the digital ecosystem to deliver greater scale, efficiency, and social impact as it creates more inclusive digital economies in emerging markets. Working with partners, DIAL generates evidence of what works through a series of demonstration projects, distils insights and tools to promote scale-up and replication, and provides mechanisms to encourage knowledge sharing, collaboration, and co-investment throughout the ecosystem.
DIAL is funded through a collaboration among the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), and hosted within the UN Foundation in Washington, D.C.
DIAL is seeking a Program Manager to join the Data for Development (D4D) team. The Program Manager shall manage and coordinate cross-functional public, NGO and private sector partners. The program manager shall liaise with new and existing partners in the design and delivery of integrated data analytics products for development causes. Such products will be designed for rapid deployment to leverage mobile operator data, geospatial data and aggregate data for development. DIAL seeks to build new and repurposed public good products such as analytical methods, data models, APIs, Algorithms, Dashboards and Visualizations.
The Program Manager shall establish and manage partner relationships with country ministries, regulators, NGOs and private data holders. The Program Manager works closely with the Program Director managing partner relationships, crafting use cases, managing the design and delivery of data for development products to meet the needs of public service providers, MNOs, regulators, NGOs and other private data holders and users. The Program Manager supports developing program-specific needs of DIAL and its partners such as MNOs, program partners in public health, agriculture, humanitarian response, country ministries and multilateral organizations that can ultimately translate into tangible technology deliverables.
Location: Candidates living in Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, Malawi as well as individuals interested in working remotely (in East or Sub-Saharan Africa), are strongly preferred.
- Work with a wide range of country ministries, regulators, mobile network operators, NGOs, private data holders and partners to identify and define requirements of Data for Development use cases.
- Manage partner relationships from design, deployment, delivery and maintenance of data for development solutions.
- Assume leadership in identifying key public, private and technical partners across the ecosystem with focus on local ecosystems building.
- Lead in developing data sharing agreements with partners, consulting cross functional teams within DIAL, Regulators, MNOs, development and humanitarian agencies to ensure ethical and responsible use of data.
- Ensure that data protection aspects are upheld by all partners.
- Advocate for the development of platforms that can be deployed across a greater variety of deployment environments.
- Ensure that public and development partners develop thorough documentation to curate all activities along the product life cycle to make replication and scaling up of easy and quick for redeployment.
- Represent DIAL and its development partners in forums advocating for Data for Development.
- 5+ years of experience as Program Manager or equivalent role with experience as an in Technology for Development initiatives, or within the technology and digital services sector.
- Experience working on technology for development projects with cross functional partners such as Government, Mobile Network Operators (MNOs), NGOs and Technical partners.
- Experience managing or working with third-party technology vendors, system integrators, analytic firms to deliver full products.
- Experience managing digital platforms and data solutions.
- Experience identifying user specifications and translating to technical requirements for design and deployment of technology solutions.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a cross-functional team, to deliver scalable business, operational and governance frameworks that are scalable and replicable in multiple environments and contexts.
- Strong understanding of multiple technology platforms, data convergence solutions, Big Data, and Data Science and Machine Learning toolkits.
- Demonstrated leadership, strong interpersonal communications, relationship development, and conflict management skills.
- Passionate leader with ingenuity and resourcefulness with a track record of experiences in multiple global geographies.
- Balanced experience across people management, program management, and product management that includes advisory and hands on responsibilities to technical teams.
- Fluent in English.
- Bachelor’s degree in related subjects.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 25%-50% of the time.
- Ascribe to DIAL’s values of Commitment, Collaboration, Empowerment, Courage and Thoughtful Action
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
About the Organization
The United Nations Foundation links the UN’s work with others around the world, mobilizing the energy and expertise of business and non-governmental organizations to help the UN tackle issues including climate change, global health, peace and security, women's empowerment, poverty eradication, energy access, and U.S.-UN relations.