The U.S. Agency for International Development’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (USAID/BHA) is the lead Bureau for coordinating the United States Government’s (USG) response to disasters and humanitarian assistance needs worldwide. Through extensive consultations with thought leaders (i.e. executives and senior international field leaders) in the humanitarian community, USAID/BHA has identified the need for enhanced leadership skills and commitment to common purpose that will result in collective action by cross-organizational leadership teams. The international community has also placed an emphasis on leadership as a key tenant of success in responding to crises that are increasingly complex and protracted. Thus, the Global Executive Leadership Initiative (GELI) is being developed to challenge senior international field leaders from across international non-governmental organizations (NGOs), the United Nations, and the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement to maximize their leadership excellence and lead more collaboratively, while simultaneously ensuring a larger number of senior field leaders respond to complex crises, contribute to wider system change, and improve performance that saves lives of crisis affected people.
One track of the GELI is a 12-month, cohort-based program. During the 12-month program, a cohort will attend three (3) residencies. These residencies will be complemented by individual assessments, executive coaching and other learning opportunities. In between residencies, participants will have remote access to executive coaching, virtual sessions led by live speakers, podcasts, articles and other learning resources. Following the 12-month cohort delivery, participants will have the option to continue with 6 months of executive leadership coaching. It is envisioned that alumni of the program will contribute to a leadership network across the international system.
The KonTerra Group has been selected as the prime contractor for this track of the GELI.
The Job – What Is it?
The KonTerra Group is hiring a full-time Program Manager to provide day-to-day direction on track one (12-month residential program, as described above) of the leadership development initiative that supports broader senior leadership within the international humanitarian community.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
● Provide oversight and management of all aspects of the GELI, including personnel management, subcontractor management, work planning, task management, technical performance and customer satisfaction. Accountable for all aspects of contract execution and management of the hands-on, day-to-day related operational activities.
● Responsible for program/project management operations and resourcing of all contract requirements, including coordination of staffing to meet deliverables and taskings.
● Provide oversight, direction, guidance, and support to staff, subcontractors and consultants directly supporting the GELI, to include four full-time professionals and multiple subcontractors/consultants.
● Responsible for meeting all technical and contractual requirements. Responsible for developing and tracking budgets and internal communication regarding program management.
● Develop and maintain key strategic relationships with personnel within the client organization; provide advice, assistance, flexibility, and guidance in support of efforts relating to executive
leadership development, collaborative curriculum and course design, process improvement, and performance management to see through the vision of GELI.
● Maintain frequent communication and awareness of overall program status; coordinate agendas and lead weekly check-ins and monthly progress meetings on key topic/issues for discussion and collective brainstorming to move forward program objectives.
● Meet regularly with USAID government program managers and broader GELI program team to ensure issues are promptly resolved and to enhance communications.
o Responsibility for performance management and reporting, as well as updating performance management process as needed to adapt to changing requirements.
o Monitors the progress of tasks and deliverables, tracks and reports project status and ensures that all critical project issues are addressed.
● Conduct quality assurance reviews for all aspects of key projects; maintain and encourage open communication and collective problem solving as issues arise.
● Foster a team-oriented, cooperative, and collaborative way of working.
● Maintain and develop positive organizational culture, values and reputation with all staff, customers, suppliers, and partners.
● Maintain commitment to KonTerra values.
Qualifications and Experience
● Candidate must possess at minimum a Bachelor’s Degree in social science, public administration, human services, organizational development or related field from an accredited university. Master’s Degree preferred.
● Experience in program management in the international humanitarian/development sector preferred.
● Supervisory experience leading small teams and multiple subcontractors/partners through the training design, delivery and evaluation process.
● Demonstrated experience in managing USAID contracts.
● Track record of working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders to achieve programmatic results.
● Strong project management skills and a demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple priorities. Project Management Professional Certification (PMP or PMD Pro) preferred.
● Experience with executive level coaching, organizational development, leadership development and/or training/facilitation programs preferred.
This position is a GS-13/14 equivalent. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To Apply: Please submit resume and cover letter with the title “Program Manager GELI” in the subject line.
About the OrganizationThe KonTerra Group – Who Are We?
The KonTerra Group exists to support the health and effectiveness of organizations and their people. With a focus on supporting organizations working in challenging environments, we develop solutions that sharpen clarity, strengthen resilience and incorporate learning.
The KonTerra Group is a leading provider of resilience and staff support services to the international humanitarian and development community and other high stress/high risk occupations. It is comprised of experienced, seasoned professionals who are passionate about what we do and serving our clients.
We provide a variety of individual, managerial and organizational services to the employees of our client organizations including:
● Confidential, individual short-term counseling
● Resilience assessments
● Confidential pre- and post-assignment consultations
● Training and psychoeducation
● Critical incident management services
● Organizational assessments
● Executive/leadership coaching
● Career coaching
● Team strengthening
● Organizational resilience support
Our clients include governmental and United Nations agencies, non-governmental organizations and private sector development actors. We provide support to both headquarters and field locations around the world. We have a small, but growing, clientele in the technology and health care sectors.