ThinkWell Global is looking for a Program Manager for our health financing portfolio. This position is instrumental for managing two major primary health care programs funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation:
Strategic Purchasing for Family Planning (SP4FP): A five-year project that aims to support countries in developing health financing strategies that use strategic purchasing to support the achievement of universal health coverage. ThinkWell is working in collaboration with Marie Stopes International (MSI) to identify opportunities and co-design interventions with purchasers and policymakers in six countries (Indonesia, Philippines, Kenya, and 3 countries TBD) to purchase family planning and other maternal child health services more effectively.
Immunization Costing Action Network (ICAN): A three-year project that aims to increase the visibility, availability, understanding, and use of evidence on the cost of delivering vaccines to work towards sustainable and predictable financing for vaccine delivery. ThinkWell is working in collaboration with John Snow Inc. (JSI) and country partners on costing studies in India, Indonesia, Tanzania, and Vietnam to address challenges at the top of their health and immunization financing agendas. ThinkWell is focused on building country capacity around interpretation and use of cost evidence and facilitating cross-country and global learning on immunization costing and financing.
The successful candidate will have experience in managing complex projects in low- and middle-income countries. The candidate will be prepared to work independently, and as part of two small, high level, distributed teams. Ability and comfort working with remote teams while open, frank, routine communication will be a priority, using calls as well as project team software to build a collaborative environment within the teams.
Job Location: This is a full-time position to be based in our Washington, DC office.
Reports to: ICAN and SP4FP Project Directors
To support the two projects, the incumbent will be expected to travel at least 40% of his/her time. The Program Manager will support the Program Directors to:
- Develop a program management plan and ensure effective implementation of the model to meet program objectives;
- Coordinate the execution of all programmatic workstreams and partner portfolios to manage the achievement of program objectives;
- Lead the development, implementation, and monitoring of program work plans and related planning documents, in full collaboration with the respective teams
- Develop and roll out system and process improvements for operations of the program;
- Coordinate periodic reviews of program progress and redesign or redirect areas of work if they are not likely to achieve program objectives;
- Facilitate communication, engagement, and decision-making across a broad team and within and across the project countries. Manage appropriate communications platforms;
- Support ThinkWell team members and country partners in the development of high-quality deliverables, including presentations, reports, and policy notes;
- Engage and manage relationships with the Steering Committee, funding organization, partners, subcontractors, and consultants;
- Promote the programs at external meetings and forums in US, and engage in relevant networks ongoing for the purpose of learning, knowledge sharing and ThinkWell visibility;
- Perform other responsibilities, such as planning meetings, coordinating schedules and travel, composing and preparing correspondence, and managing document sharing and knowledge capture.
- Graduate in public health, public administration, business/management, business administration or equivalent fields;
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience in NGOs, management consulting firm, bilateral or multilateral development agency,, with some of that experience managing operations for low- or middle-income country projects;
- Strong project and people manager, with a track record of designing operations and successfully implementing complex programs with multiple partners and workstreams;
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills;
- Fluent command of English; working proficiency in French is an asset;
- Willingness to travel essential, including to low income countries.
Skills and Competencies
- Effective management of multiple projects, tasks and deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, approachable management style, and ability to build relationships and forge compromises;
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability;
- Strong skill set in coordinating and communicating with a virtual team;
- Ability to work in a lightly structured environment and effectively collaborate with remote team members;
- Ability to effectively set priorities and handle competing time and resource demands;
- Ability to manage client expectations and deliver on client needs;
- A combination of humility and confidence.