Job Title: Protection Program Manager I
Reports to: Emergency Coordinator
Salary Grade: 9
Location: Bangladesh/Cox’s Bazar
Position Type: Full Time
You will manage programming in the Country Program (CP) for protection and psycho-social support projects in the refugee camps and host community, designing and implementing projects advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work in serving the poor and vulnerable. Your management skills and knowledge will ensure that the CP and Caritas Bangladesh deliver high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its programming.
You will support and accompany partner organization Caritas Bangladesh to plan and implement good quality programs, build staff capacity in protection expertise, mainstream protection across programs, and coordinate with relevant sectors and other agencies. The PM will also assist in donor representation coordination with sector partners and new project design support as needed.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Support Caritas Bangladesh protection manager to manage and implement all activities throughout all relevant project cycles of Bare Foot Counseling (BFC) project - project design, start-up, implementation and close-out - to ensure efficient and effective implementation in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices. Ensure project team and partner staff use the appropriate systems and tools in project implementation and budget tracking.
- Support Caritas Bangladesh to effectively manage talent and supervise. Work closely with Caritas Bangladesh protection manager and provide guidance on how to manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Assist Caritas Bangladesh protection manager to be able to provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans and contribute to the recruitment process of Caritas Bangladesh project staffs.
- Ensure high program quality and alignment with relevant IASC guidelines and global best practices for community-based protection programming in humanitarian and development settings through coordination and identification of appropriate technical support.
- Oversee the technical, programmatic and operational aspects of BFC project activities in refugee and host community settings. Accompany and coach Caritas Bangladesh protection team, assess technical support needs of the staff and volunteers, help with development of community engagement strategy, strengthen case management system, and provide other direct support as applicable.
- Champion learning with Caritas Bangladesh team. Analyze and evaluate project performance data following MEAL policy.Proactively identify issues and concerns and use participatory processes to overcome implementation obstacles. Set up protection monitoring systems and processes and ensure field teams are equipped to carry out monitoring and assessment activities as and when required.
- Act as a key resource person in project design and proposal development in respective programming area, gap-filling and taking on growth responsibilities, as needed.
- Coordinate the identification of staff capacity and technical assistance needs of partner organizations and capacity strengthening and required interventions to support quality project implementation.
- Help identify, assess and strengthen partnerships relevant to protection programming applying appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches.
- Manage partnership with CRS Bangladesh and No Strings International (NSI) including by ensuring clear project documents are developed and shared with all relevant Coordinate with NSI on project development and rollout for PSS film and activities and follow up on activities from, WASH and other newly developed films and liaise between NSI and other partners including Caritas Bangladesh.
- Master’s Degree in Social work, psychology International Development, International Relations or in the field of protection program is required. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Two years’ experience working in emergency, development or recovery program context with any of the following sectors Protection, child protection, gender-based violence, and/or psychosocial support.
- Relevant field-based experience in coordinating or managing light to moderately complex projects required, preferably with an international NGO.
- Ability to work independently, but also coordinate effectively as part of a team.
- Experience with capacity strengthening and partnership building.
- Knowledge of CRS’ program quality standards and SPHERE emergency guidelines preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work and live in diverse, challenging and potentially unstable environment.
Required Languages - English proficiency required, Bangla and Rohingya are highly desirable
Travel - Must be willing and able to travel up to 60 % within Cox’s Bazar district including to refugee camps and host community villages.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to write reports
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented
- Project management experience in protection program is highly desirable.
- Experience engaging with partner organizations.
- Experience contributing to the development of technical proposals.
- MEAL skills and experience preferred.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities -None
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Emergency Coordinator, Protection TA, Country Manager, HRD Technical Advisors, MEAL Technical Advisors.
External: Caritas Bangladesh Protection team, Caritas Bangladesh management team, Sector coordinators, UNHCR, and other UN actors. Other NGOs implementing protection programs.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until this position is filled
About the Organization
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS's Agriculture and Livelihoods team supports farming communities using our Pathway to Prosperity approach, which enables rural families to increase their productivity within sustainable landscapes, achieve a living income and build more resilient communities.