Benetech is seeking an experienced Program Manager to work with the Benetech Labs team, which is dedicated to prototyping and experimenting with new software applications to create high-impact solutions for social good. The Program Manager will provide project management and partner engagement, user research and landscape analysis, support fundraising, and assist with strategic planning and direction for one or more emerging initiatives in Labs.
The Program Manager will also serve as the principle liaison with key partners, building new relationships and opportunities, and representing the initiative publicly, including at conferences. The Program Manager will also collect, synthesize, and present information about target users, stakeholders and their needs/pain points, the current technology landscape, and opportunities and challenges surrounding the program area. The primary initiative to work on will be a project to design and build data collection and dissemination tools that will provide insight into the experiences and rights of people with disabilities in developing countries. This role is initially a part-time, temporary role (8 months) with an opportunity to transition to a full-time, regular position, pending funding. It is based in Palo Alto, CA, and will require international travel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with the VP of Labs, Labs product manager, and other internal and external stakeholders, define initiative strategies, goals, and metrics in order to maximize impact.
- Conduct user and market research in order to drive project/product strategy; provide thorough landscape analysis, user-centered design, and opportunity/risk assessment
- Work with product manager to drive road map and strategic technology direction for the initiative.
- Represent Benetech and the relevant initiative among partners, funders, and prospects, including presenting at conferences and meetings.
- Negotiate and manage complex, overlapping contracts, agreements, and grant requirements, ensuring their timely, on-budget delivery.
- Coordinate contractors, partners, and other resources to ensure smooth and timely project completion.
- Drive decisions for initiative growth, help develop funding strategy, prospects, and partners, and provide estimates required for funding proposals.
- Build and maintain strong relationships and alliances, resulting in motivated, engaged external partners (both organizations and individuals).
- Produce relevant reports, presentations, and other documents for internal and external parties.
- Manage multiple projects and partners in all stages of development as they emerge: exploring new opportunities, seeking funding, forming and growing relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 6-8 years in a program management role, preferably in a high technology or social enterprise environment.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated success in program development
- User-centered design experience; demonstrated ability to quickly understand landscape, gather and synthesize user feedback into actionable concepts using proven UX methods
- Experience working with government agencies, international NGOs, multi-lateral partnerships, and cross-sector collaborations strongly preferred
- Entrepreneurial drive and orientation
- Experience with accessibility and inclusive design strongly preferred
- Deep experience working in developing countries strongly preferred
- Enormous creativity and flexibility, combined with integrity
- Ability to multi-task and pay attention to detail while keeping sight of the big picture.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; superb communication (both written and spoken)
- Demonstrated abiding interest in tech-for-good
About the Organization
Do you have a passion for using tecnology to bring about social change? Do you want to be part of innovative solutions that promote sustainable social impact? If so, come join the team at Benetech!
We are a nonprofit that empowers communities with software for social good. Our work transforms how people with disabilities read and learn, makes it safer for human rights defenders to pursue truth and justice, and connects people to the services they need to live and prosper. We’re constantly pursuing the next big social impact.
Benetech is committed to diversity and inclusion. We strongly encourage individuals with disabilities, veterans, and minorities to work with us!