At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2016, CARE worked in 94 countries and reached 80 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
The Learning Tours Program Manager will support efforts to cultivate U.S. Congressional champions for improved policies and increased funding for U.S. foreign assistance and development through CARE-sponsored travel to Africa, Asia and/or Latin America and follow-up education and advocacy.
In order to develop U.S. champions for global pro-poor policies, the project’s two main strategies are to: 1) organize learning tours for Members of Congress and other influential individuals to developing countries and meet local leaders, so U.S. decision makers can gain personal experience of the problems and solutions; and 2) conduct follow-up advocacy to maximize impacts on U.S. government policy and funding levels.
The Project Manager will contribute to the Learning Tours operation, including tour preparation, site selection, in-country activities, relationships with partner NGOs and agencies, relationships with CARE Country Directors and country office staff, follow-up advocacy with tour participants, interdepartmental and intradepartmental coordination, and the full range of tour communications. In this role the Program Manager will coordinate between partner organizations and across many divisions, departments, regional management units and country offices within CARE.
- Tour planning
- Tour execution
- Advocacy coordination
- CARE Journeys - work closely with the International Engagement Director to support the plannign and execution of CARE Journery as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international affairs, international development or a related field
- 2-4 years experience in US policy and advocacy
- 2-4 years experience managing complex projects with competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- 1-2 years experience with political and/or social change advocacy campaigns.
- 1-2 years experience doing advance work for political principles.
- Experience working independently as well as with a team.
- Experience with and knowledge of how USG policy is made and implemented
- Experience developing and managing partnerships and alliances
- Advance written and oral communication skills
- Advanced plannign and implementation skills
About the Organization
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE's community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.