Interested in supporting entrepreneurs, farmers, and agribusinesses drive sustainable economic growth on a stunning archipelago off the coast of West Africa? Join our team!
TechnoServe is currently seeking a Program Manager to lead an exciting new entrepreneurship and value chain development program in São Tomé and Príncipe. The potential program, funded by an oil and gas partnership, would shape the corporations’ social investment in the country and promote sustainable socio-economic development for the people of São Tomé and Príncipe.
The Program Manager will lead TechnoServe’s flagship program on this vibrant island nation, establishing a strong country team and partnering with local organizations to build the entrepreneurship and agricultural ecosystem for sustainable growth.
In partnership with JV Partners (Kosmos Energy, BP, and Agencia Nacional do Petroleo) TechnoServe seeks to implement an entrepreneurship and value chain development program in Sao Tome and Principe. A flagship program in this country for TechnoServe, the Program Director will adapt and deliver TechnoServe’s best practices in economic and agricultural development to this unique island context.
TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. As a nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. By linking people to information, capital, and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities. With 50 years of proven results, TechnoServe believes in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
- Master’s degree in economics, international development, agriculture or another relevant subject area plus three years of experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years’ field and technical experience with entrepreneurship or micro-small and medium enterprise development or working in the agriculture or agribusiness sectors required
- Strong project management and financial analysis skills; experience assessing business operations and developing growth strategies
- Significant personnel management experience
- Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability and experience working with teams
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to develop well-written and cohesive analytical reports
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships
- Ability to identify and understand issues, opportunities and compare data from different sources to draw conclusions and to use effective approaches for developing appropriate solutions and take action that is consistent with available facts
- Willingness to travel and work in remote rural locations; field-based operations experience preferred
- Fluency in English and Portuguese
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all deliverables of the Sao Tome and Principe economic development project, including specific outputs and outcomes laid out in the project proposals and MEL plan
- Lead the launch of entrepreneurship training activities and ensure excellence in execution
- Maintain project work plan and ensure timely project implementation
- Ensure project activities are implemented with sound managerial, technical, human resource and overall programmatic practices
- Hold regular team meetings to track implementation progress and share relevant project and administrative data
- Provide coaching, direction, and leadership support to program team members to achieve results
- Manage and monitor project budget variances to ensure spending rates are on target and realign as required.
- Timely production and sharing of project performance metrics, including quarterly Program Status Reports (PSRs) and Corporate Measurement data
- Proactively identify successful strategies and tactics, or bottlenecks to effective execution of project objectives
- Ensure all payments/activities are in compliance with donor requests, restrictions and regulations as outlined in donor contracts / rules and regulations
- Produce narrative reports for internal and external consumption
- Recruit, hire and retain staff to implement all aspects of the program
- Ensure mid-year and year-end performance evaluations are conducted with all staff. Recommend and implement salary increases for staff on an annual basis upon performance evaluations
- Interface with other countries, regional staff, and headquarters staff, as appropriate
- Ensure information is shared and flows transparently within the project, country, regional, practice and headquarters teams
- Potentially lead design of new projects as required, including technical design and preparation of proposals
Project Technical Support
- Support curriculum development and adaptation of modules for entrepreneurship training and value chain development
- Manage partnerships and collaboration with project partners including NGOs, business development services providers, other private sector actors, and government agencies
- Oversee monitoring and evaluation activities
- Following initial onboarding period per TechnoServe corporate policy, serve as the legal representative of TechnoServe in Sao Tome and Principe
- Maintain TechnoServe’s proper registration in Sao Tome and Principe and ensure that TechnoServe has tax-exempt status where possible and that TechnoServe is in compliance with all local laws, (e.g., labor, tax, registration)
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with relevant stakeholders in Sao Tome and Principe, including relevant government departments, private sector companies, and business associations
- Represent the program and TechnoServe at internal and external functions
- Understand, respect and promote TechnoServe’s values, vision and strategy in implementation of assigned duties
- Other duties as assigned
About the Organization
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With five decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.