Why Join IntraHealth
IntraHealth International is a global health nonprofit that has worked for 40 years in over 100 countries. We improve the performance of health workers and strengthen the systems in which they work so that everyone everywhere has the health care they need to thrive.
IntraHealth’s programs generate long-term social and economic impact to keep communities around the world healthy, strong, and prosperous. And our dynamic staff are passionate about global health and committed to excellence. Join us. The future of global health starts here.
Summary of Job
The program manager (PM) is a mid-level position within the Center for Program Delivery & Learning. The candidate may directly supervise HQ-based program officers and reports to a senior program manager (SPM) or program director. The PM supports the SPM and/or in-country teams in ensuring high-quality program delivery as well as adherence to organizational and donor requirements by supporting both technical and program deliverables, specifically for the following countries and projects: Botswana (OVC), Central America (regional HIV Care and Treatment Project), Namibia (DREAMS/Twagamenwa, KP-STAR and CDC ISS projects). Main responsibilities include operational management and coordination throughout the project life cycle; technical quality management and collaboration by providing direct technical assistance and/or sourcing relevant technical experts that will support IntraHealth International’s signature tools and approaches; contributing to new business development through proposal and cost application development, project design and technical writing; and people management/other support functions that will foster cohesion and collaboration. The PM liaises with other HQ and field departments to problem-solve solutions that aid project implementation.
This is a full-time temporary position that will commence from March 2021 through July 2021.
Education & Experience
- A Master’s degree in public health, international health, or related fields is required with a minimum of 8 years of program management experience.
- Experience in finance, administration, and management, developing and tracking budgets, logistics, and operations.
- Experience with USAID- or CDC-funded projects required and experience with non-USG and private foundation-funded projects preferred.
- Working knowledge of international health program areas (e.g., MNCH/FP, HIV/AIDS, HRH, integrated health) with advanced experience in at least one programmatic area.
- Overseas field experience in low to middle income countries required.
Skills & Requirements
- Ability to analyze and interpret data to inform program and resource mobilization decisions.
- Comfortable working in teams, with a diverse group of people of various nationalities and cultural backgrounds, as well as acting independently in the implementation of specific tasks, multitasking and prioritizing, working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Strong analytical, writing and oral presentation skills, including editing skills.
- Fluency or professional working proficiency in Spanish and/or French is desirable.
- International and domestic travel for this position is estimated to be 25%.
- Organizational competencies include: Communication & Collaboration; Ethics & Integrity; Functional & People Management (supervisors only); and Professional Skills.
Operational Management & Coordination | 45%
- Serve as primary point of contact at HQ and provide oversight for assigned programmatic and operational project activities and issues, including compliance, revenue projections, spending, staffing, project start-up and close-out, and procurement.
- Coordinate the linkages of key staff by bringing together country-based project teams and appropriate HQ departments (e.g. HR; Finance and Accounting; Contracts, Procurement, and Pricing) to ensure excellence throughout project life cycle.
- Review and provide feedback on performance metrics, financial status, deliverables, and progress against audit recommendations and escalate issues to an SPM or program director as needed.
- Monitor and track project implementation and recommend actions as needed for project activities to meet or exceed donor and key stakeholder expectations and requirements.
- Support a culture of data use among project teams by developing tools and resources that could be used across multiple projects to track resource utilization and achievement of results.
- Lead project knowledge management efforts by ensuring project SharePoint sites are maintained: final project documents are archived, project and country landing page information is up to date, and project OneDrive for team document sharing is maintained.
- Support the development and facilitation of Learning Plans, Country Portfolio Review Meetings, and data review meetings, documenting and following up on key action items.
- Assist Measurement & Learning Lead (and/or SPM as relevant) in design, implementation, data analysis, results write-up and dissemination of studies, assessments/evaluations and similar activities.
Technical Quality Management & Collaboration | 25%
- Collaborate with the Center for Technical Excellence (CTE) to provide country teams with direct technical assistance, as well as identify, approve, and coordinate other technical assistance that is responsive and high-quality.
- May lead and/or assist SPM and in-country staff with development of annual workplans and budgets that are feasible, responsive to local needs, reasonable in cost, and deliver sustainable results.
- Support project monitoring efforts through the use of dashboards and other tools to ensure project deliverables are completed on time and in accordance with contract scope of work.
- Support program visibility efforts by supporting project teams to document innovations, results, and impact on IntraHealth’s various social media channels as well as technical publications and journals, where applicable.
- Conduct quality assurance technical reviews and analysis of report results and work with in-country team to finalize products to QA standards.
New Business Development | 15%
- Support pre-positioning efforts for new business opportunities including conducting desk research and landscape analyses, participate in capture trips and in log frame, SWOT, win themes, and strategy sessions.
- Support all aspects of proposal development with an emphasis on budgeting oversight, partner and cost share identification, management, staffing plans and workplan development, project start-up, and serve as hiring manager for non-key positions.
- Serve as technical contributor in collaboration with the technical lead for large and complex proposals and, when required, work closely with business development manager and CTE to serve as technical lead for smaller proposals, sub-recipient roles, and concept notes.
People Management/Other | 15%
- Participate in interview panels for special projects, in-country, and HQ based staff; organize/design orientations; assist in the development of job descriptions.
- May supervise up to two junior HQ-based support staff and will provide timely and constructive feedback through proper goal setting and performance assessments.
- Participate in and/or lead internal systems improvement initiative working groups, as needed.
- Represent IntraHealth at external conferences and events, including poster and oral presentations.
- Undertake other related tasks as requested by supervisor.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
To apply and to learn more about other IntraHealth careers I http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
To learn more about IntraHealth International I http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1
About the OrganizationDedicated to strengthening health workers and the systems that support them, IntraHealth International has served the public health needs of developing countries for 30 years. We bring about positive change by harnessing the potential of technology, valuing the power of partnership, and maintaining a sharp focus on the health worker. To help close the gap in access to health care we have developed and share a depth of expertise in:
•Health workforce and systems strengthening
•Health worker training and performance
•Maternal, newborn and child health
•Family planning and reproductive health
•HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis prevention, treatment and care
•Malaria prevention and treatment
Founded in 1979 as the Intrah program at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine, IntraHealth incorporated as an independent nonprofit organization in 2003. We have worked in more than 75 countries throughout our history, and currently have programs in over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia, and Eurasia. Our work is funded by the US Agency for International Development (USAID), the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, Pfizer, Inc., the Tides Foundation, and by individual contributors.
IntraHealth’s main office is in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. We also have offices in Washington, DC, Armenia, Ethiopia, Guatemala, India, Kenya, Lesotho, Mali, Namibia, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Southern Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia.
More Jobs from this Organization