The Program Officer supports the Asia Division of ROLI in implementing rule of law programs across Asia, and applying for funding of new programs. The Program Officer is responsible for the administrative aspects of the implementation of programs and projects under the supervision of a program manager or division director. This role is expected to work across several programs in Asia as needs arise. The role plays a significant role in supporting the Division’s finance, compliance, and operations, reducing risk and liability, achieving full compliance with ABA and donor rules and regulations as well as applicable national law, and facilitating and enabling nimble and efficient operations management in the Division’s Asia-based programs. The Program Officer supports the Division in developing and monitoring program budgets and spending projections; monitoring monthly financial expenditures from overseas programs; managing information and data across countries of operation; handling contracting processes, and generally providing general administrative backstopping for the Division.
Experience undertaking administrative responsibility for grant-funded international development programs, ideally in relation to the law and/or in Asia, is expected.
As this is a Washington, DC based job, please note that applicants must have a current, indefinite work authorization in the United States, not requiring employer sponsorship.
- Assists in the creation of elementary aspects of work plan development and tracks all aspects of program implementation;
- Participates in the development of proposals and supporting budgetary requirements;
- Provides support to the recruitment of workshop faculty and short- and long-term experts within an assigned area;
- Assists in the preparation and editing reports to and for funders;
- Accompanies study tours and assist with program organization and activities and supports the tour leader;
- Provides support to and is accountable for logistical arrangements for domestic and international events and is accountable for the preparation of relevant briefing materials;
- May participate in ABA ROLI representation domestically;
- Provides support in the development of M&E plans and programs;
- Participates in the preparation of information and materials provided to donors;
- Assigns, coordinates, and participates in research activities as assigned;
- Assists in all compliance efforts with ABA and other donor policies, practices, procedures, and regulations;
- Accountable for adherence to and compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act [FCPA];
- Monitors program finances and expenses, and updates funding charts;
- Conducts research related to ROLI initiatives;
- Performs other related duties as required
- Bachelor’s Degree from four-year college or university (or equivalent experience);
- At least two (2) years of work experience in a program management capacity.
- Experience planning travel and processing expense reports;
- Experience creating budgets is highly preferred;
- Experience with financial management of grant-funded programs preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Strong organizational skills, impeccable written English, and attention to detail;
- Analytical problem-solving ability, self-direction, project experience, research and writing skills, and meeting planning experience
- Ability to manage work on multiple programs at once in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite, especially Microsoft Excel;
- International experience and knowledge of the Asian region an asset.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with the American Bar Association please call 312-988-5188.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html