Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI, and demonstrating the core values in their day-to-day operations.
The Program Officer (PO) is responsible for designing and implementing a strategy for IRI’s programs in Malaysia and Thailand. S/he closely monitors and analyzes political and economic developments in countries of responsibility, develops program ideas, and drafts proposals on a range of democracy and assistance programs. S/he also identifies program partners, and develops and maintains close relationships with them and with funders. The PO is also involved in new business development efforts.
- Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations or related field, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Three to five years’ professional experience in democratic governance and politics, preferably working directly with political parties, civil society organizations/NGOs or legislative bodies, or equivalent combination.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience working with US Government funded projects and familiarity with USG regulations and processes.
- Experience with program management, implementation and basic accounting necessary to draft and oversee a budget.
- Demonstrated management experience including ability to motivate and manage staff.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively direct or participate in complex negotiations with bilateral and/or multilateral government agencies, other funders or relevant audiences.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to meet program goals.
- Ability to travel to new and challenging environments.
- Working knowledge of the politics, economics, history and culture of the Southeast Asia region.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on political and related developments in specific countries to provide regional and country analysis and information.
- Anticipates potential problems and trouble shoots project problems and offers solutions and actively takes part to lead resolution of them with creative and immediate solutions.
- Oversees implementation of specific grant(s) and associated grant activities.
- Maintains an understanding of funder and IRI policies and procedures related to grant compliance and oversight.
- Understands assigned grant’s substantive, financial and compliance requirements.
- Supports efforts to ensure that grants are in compliance with grant agreements and completed on time.
- Monitors and ensures proper tracking of budget estimates and program expenditures to ensure that IRI projects remain within budget allocations.
- Oversees updates to budget tracker and leads regular team budget analysis discussions.
- Oversees and participates in all monitoring and evaluation efforts for grants assigned.
- Leads efforts to evaluate and uses information related to the approved grant work plan.
- Drafts and edits/adds information to ensure high quality quarterly, semi-annual, final and other relevant reports for funders
- Contributes to the substantive design of new programs and contributes to the development of new program ideas.
- Develops and coordinates new program ideas.
- Assists with assessing new funding opportunities and serve as proposal manager (as assigned) for new bid opportunities.
- Anticipates potential problems and trouble shoots project problems, offers solutions, and actively takes part to lead resolution of them with creative and immediate solutions.
- Establishes, maintains, and develops strong working relationships with relevant stakeholders in DC and abroad.
- Actively supports IRI’s communication strategy including IRI’s branding and outreach plans, including drafts and updates program summaries and other outreach materials, drafts web stories, tweets, etc. Represents IRI at external events.
- Travels as needed for program oversight and implementation; if an immediate need arises deploys on short-to long-term service in a program in the field to maintain continuity of the program.
- Supervises Senior Program Associates and/or Program Associates, is involved in hiring and evaluation process. Sets specific goals and provides ongoing performance feedback.
- Participates in cross-functional teams and initiatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
About the Organization
IRI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization committed to advancing freedom and democracy worldwide by helping political parties to become more issue-based and responsive, assisting citizens to participate in government planning, and working to increase the role of marginalized groups in the political process – including women and youth.