Program Officer, Education Abroad
At AMIDEAST we pride ourselves in being a leading American non-profit organization engaged in international education, training and development activities in the Middle East and North Africa. We also pride ourselves in providing 40+ days of paid leave and a great 401k with 6% matching.
The Program Officer manages AMIDEAST’s participation in U.S. Department of State sponsored programs such as YES Abroad and the National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y), and serves as a key link between AMIDEAST Headquarters in Washington, DC and U.S. students, grantors, sending institutions, and AMIDEAST field office staff members delivering programs in the Middle East and North Africa. In addition, the Program Officer works collaboratively with the Education Abroad team in the development and enhancement of AMIDEAST Education Abroad’s portfolio of proprietary programs, including supporting the needs of traditionally underserved participant populations, advancing experiential learning intercultural learning initiatives, and general promotion and marketing of AMIDEAST Education Abroad programs.
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manages AMIDEAST’s involvement in U.S. Department of State funded programs, including YES Abroad and the National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) Programs
- Coordinates with the donor and prime contractor (currently American Councils for International Education), including representing AMIDEAST in meetings of the YES Abroad Consortium and with the Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs;
- Participates in the selection of YES Abroad students;
- Communicates with prospective and selected students, parents, and institutions at all stages of program implementation;
- Manages all aspects of getting students on program, including travel reservations, collection of materials and forms, follow-up related to materials and forms, etc.;
- Prepare, updates, and conducts series of predeparture webinars; conceptualizes, plans, and implements predeparture and reentry orientations;
- Helps reviews and revise student policies on an annual basis and communicates them effectively to all constituents on an ongoing basis;
- Leads review process and response to health, safety, and security issues that arise during program implementation;
- Prepares and submits monthly, quarterly, and final narrative reports as needed;
- Collaborates with field office staff regarding AMIDEAST Education Abroad Programs, from program development through implementation, monitoring, and final reporting;
- Helps oversees Education Abroad budgets for designated programs, including participation in annual budgeting process, and monitoring of expenses against budget;
- Promotes programs, including through social media, interaction with campus-based education abroad professionals, and overall development of promotional materials and strategies;
- Undertakes special projects and other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Minimum 3 years of relevant international education experience, preferably professional education abroad experience, including within the Middle East/North Africa region
- Administrative or other relevant experience with U.S. government-funded programs within the Middle East/North Africa region
- Specific academic and practical knowledge of one or more countries relevant to AMIDEAST Education Abroad programming
- Spoken/written Arabic and/or French proficiency
- Understanding of issues facing traditionally underserved participant populations and experience developing and implementing strategies for equity and support
- Experience in budget preparation and financial monitoring
- Strong computer skills (candidate should list experience with various software programs)
- Master’s degree in relevant field
- Experience with study abroad programming for high school and gap year students
Please provide a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to http://jobs.amideast.org
AMIDEAST is an Equal Opportunity Employer-Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disability/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
About the Organization
AMIDEAST is a leading American non-profit organization engaged in international education, training and development activities in the Middle East and North Africa.
Founded in 1951, AMIDEAST in its early years focused on promoting U.S. study to students in the MENA region and managing U.S. scholarships and exchanges such as the flagship Fulbright Foreign Student Program. While these important programs continue apace, our work has expanded significantly.
Today AMIDEAST programs and services touch the lives of half a million individuals a year – improving educational opportunities and quality, strengthening local institutions, and developing language and professional skills critical for success in the global economy.