The Program Officer II (PO II) is responsible for providing program operations, management, and programmatic/Monitoring, Evaluation and Research (MER) support to assigned projects and assists with country/regional upcoming business development procurements. The PO II helps manage project operations, administration, finances, and logistics, and liaises directly with IntraHealth foundation system staff. The PO II assists with the design and development of project management systems. The PO II works directly with agency/partner contacts and consultants to develop and monitor project scopes of work, budgets, and timelines. The PO II reports to the Senior Technical Manager (STM) and learns about all aspect of country field projects in order to provide program officer support, including annual work plan and budget development, and monitoring. S/he can also supports assigned technical and MER work as delegated by the STM such as programmatic/technical research on technical strategies, reviewing technical reports, writing abstracts and other technical documents supporting MER duties to assist with project baseline, mid-term or end assessments and data analysis for communication materials and project monitoring. S/he is expected to work independently with general supervision. This position will support the robust Tanzania portfolio.
This temporary position will commence as soon as possible and end approximately mid-August. This is a full time position, however, this is a temporary position with a possibility of extension depending on additional work.
Program Management – 30%
- Assist the STM in the facilitation of routine project/country/regional bi-weekly meetings, taking notes and asking clarification questions.
- Support managers and in-country staff in developing and reviewing annual work plans and budgets as well as lead work plan and budget monitoring.
- In collaboration with the in-country team, lead the preparation review and finalization of project deliverables.
- Prepare project contract documents (subcontracts, sub agreements, purchase orders, and Memoranda of Understanding) as requested; create systems for and help manage subcontracts and sub grants in collaboration with Contracts, Grants and Procurement team.
- Participate and provide project updates for project specific partner and stakeholder meetings as necessary.
- Create and maintain the projects’ SharePoint site(s) and assist with project-related information management.
- Respond to field office requests for assistance in various operational, technical and program areas (including travel).
- Travel to country programs up to 30% time to provide management, operations and technical assistance as requested.
- Represent programmatic areas and participate in headquarters task forces as necessary.
- Participate as a representative of the Programs division in internal systems improvement initiative working groups, as needed (e.g., SharePoint training for Program staff, IntraHealth dashboard, IntraHealth portfolio reviews).
- Develop management tools that can be adapted for other programs as needed, e.g., travel and budget tracking tools, partner communication templates, consultant approval templates.
Technical - 25%
- Assist with the development of technical scopes of work for consultants and or technical staff for field assignments as requested by the Project Director and STM.
- Carry out specific technical tasks where appropriate as requested by the Project Director and STM
- Serve as a reviewer for t project reports for donor(s) and compile and integrate inputs from the country/project team members
- Develop in partnership with the Country Team and STM and/or develop, review and provide content feedback on technical briefs, publications and abstracts.
- Provide support to the Project Director and STM to ensure alignment of project work plans, MER plans and activities with project objectives and donor requirements.
Financial Management – 35%
- Work closely with the country project Finance department and the Headquarters Finance Department to develop, monitor, track and analyze annual, quarterly and monthly expenditures compared to donor approved workplan and revenue project budget. Ensure that project budget projections are accurate and expenditures are properly tracked, including accruals.
- Review expense reports, cash requests, and internal financial system reports and collaborate with Headquarters-based Finance Department, Grants & Contracts Department and in-country Finance staff to correct any errors identified, liaising with the Finance Business Partner and informing Finance staff of necessary changes to be made
- Ensure various program funding mechanism rules and regulations are followed according to donor and lead partner expectations.
- Manage procurement processed and seek relevant approvals form CGP, serving as headquarters point person for procurement in the field.
New Business Development – 10%
- Participate in new business development proposals/bids including writing job descriptions, participating in strategic meetings.
- Create proposal budget notes and provide administrative support as necessary.
- Liaise with the technical proposal team to ensure alignment between technical narrative and cost proposals.
- Assist HR with personnel recruitment, the development of the staffing and management plan, and specific technical/programmatic or MER sections as needed
- Serve as the HQ programmatic lead with the Project Director on specific procurement opportunities as delegated by the STM.
- Liaise with Human Resources staff on project-related personnel issues.
- Facilitate consultant approvals and paperwork, including identifying, interviewing and hiring consultants, managing consultant expense reports and invoices, and ensuring accuracy and adherence to contract.
- Undertake other related tasks as requested by supervisor.
- A Masters degree in Public Health or related field preferred with a minimum of 3 years of program management support experience; or a Bachelor’s degree in related field and 6 years of program management support experience.
- Three (3) years of experience in finance, administration, management, developing and tracking budgets, logistics and operations
- Three (3) years total of technical experience in the Public Health field.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including editing skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Comfortable working in teams, acting independently in the implementation of specific tasks, multitasking and prioritizing, working under pressure, and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work and communicate with a diverse group of people of various nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
- Functional knowledge of international health and development including HIV/Aids, Gender Equality, Family Planning and/or Human Resources for Health programs is preferred.
- Extensive experience in functional areas.
- The ability to interact with colleagues outside of your own department.
- The ability to work under general supervision.
- The ability to have impact on departmental decisions.
- The ability to receive general guidance on work priorities and function effectively with substantial employee latitude.
- The ability to explain or instruct as needed.
- The ability to meet frequent demands to juggle shifting priorities and deadlines.
- Three (3) years in a position performing work assisting with Business Development
- Working experience with USAID-funded, CDC-funded and/or private foundation funded projects
- Overseas field experience
- Fluency in a French or Spanish
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Position is based in an office, requiring sitting at a desk most of the day
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs. occasionally or as needed
- Innovation - Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives that result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
- Accountability - Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high quality results for IntraHealth’s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
- Service Excellence - Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
- Effective Communication (Oral and Written) - Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors
- Strategic Thinking: Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization- and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
To apply and to learn more about other IntraHealth careers
To learn more about IntraHealth International
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
About the Organization
Why Choose IntraHealth?
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work.
Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective.
Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.