IFES is an international, nonprofit organization that supports the building of democratic societies. IFES provides targeted technical assistance to strengthen transitional democracies. Founded in 1987 as a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization, IFES has developed and implemented comprehensive, collaborative democracy solutions in more than 130 countries.
The Program Officer is an intermediate professional position at IFES providing technical, subject matter support to HQ and field program teams. Under the supervision of the Inclusion Advisor, the Inclusion Officer will develop and implement tools and strategies to increase access to the political process for persons with disabilities. In addition to working on country-specific initiatives, the Program Officer will help support knowledge management of disability rights programming across the organization as well as develop substantial written materials for internal and external audiences.
- Providing policy and thematic advice to regional teams on mainstreaming the inclusion of persons with disabilities in democracy and governance programming.
- Supporting program teams in business development, program design, knowledge management and dissemination of IFES’ work on access and inclusion.
- Providing technical support to the IFES Election Access Working Group.
- Maintaining, updating and creating internal and external resources and materials, including one-pagers, strategy papers, and standing briefs as well as helping to manage @IFESDisability on Twitter.
- Trouble shooting project problems. Identifying and implementing creative solutions.
- Supporting operations staff in developing inclusive internal policies and procedures.
- Representing IFES with donors, the international community and other stakeholders as assigned.
- Frequent travel to the field to support disability rights programming, training, conferences, assessments and evaluations.
About the Organization
Vision: Our vision is a world in which strong democratic institutions empower citizens to have a voice in the way they are governed.
Mission: The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) supports citizens’ rights to participate in free and fair elections. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions.
As the global leader in democracy promotion, we advance good governance and democratic rights by:
- Providing technical assistance to election officials
- Empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process
- Applying field-based research to improve the electoral cycle
Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries – from developing democracies, to mature democracies.