Please Note: This is an international recruitment and open to expatriates, third country nationals and Botswana nationals.
The Program Quality Manager (PQM) will support the USAID-funded “Botswana Comprehensive Care and Support for OVC” program. The PQM will be an experienced program manager with overall responsibility to support the development and implementation of a program quality management system with an emphasis on: 1) Quality assurance systems that facilitate quality program implementation, according to defined standards, and utilization of program data to guide decision making and quality improvement; 2) Effective project management processes and tools to support efficient and coordinated project execution; and 3) Documentation and dissemination of project approaches and achievements to facilitate applied learning internally and externally. The PQM will support the Chief of Party to work closely with and link diverse internal stakeholders and functions together with the explicit goal of ensuring the quality and effectiveness of the program. The PQM will contribute to the development of the structures, processes and tools to promote data-driven adaptive management, and will strengthen the capacity and culture of PCI to capture, share and apply learning to continuously improve the program.
This position will be based in Gaborone, Botswana. Contract term will be two years, with the possibility of extension.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Responsibility Area: Quality Assurance & Improvement
- Coordinate the development & implementation of a quality assurance plan that outlines the project’s specific approach to quality assurance, control and improvement
- Contribute to the development of a performance management framework and project-specific monitoring & evaluation indicators, processes and tools with the explicit goal of ensuring the quality and effectiveness of programs
- Help develop and institutionalize an internal communication & reporting system that regularly captures and presents relevant performance-related information to decision makers to inform management and technical approach. Work with the M&E team to ensure that the project collects and analyses the data required to produce this information, even if not required for donor reporting.
- Coordinate and/or facilitate training for managers, supervisors and partners on quality standards for all project interventions, ensuring they understand & can utilize quality standards as guidelines for day-to-day implementation, to carry out supportive supervision or conduct service level assessments.
- Coordinate and/or facilitate site visits to observe the quality of service delivery and implementation at site level.
- Support the Chief of Party to triangulate project data and project team observations and feedback to identify trends, issues, potential learnings, gaps or other findings related to program quality. Help develop & present tailored information products to decision makers, the project team and partners. Support decisions makers to review program data and develop and communicate concrete action plans to address quality issues.
- Coordinate and help facilitate quarterly and annual program reviews and planning workshops. Effectively link, integrate and harmonize project activity plans with M&E, quality assurance and LKM activities to ensure improved efficiency, coordination and synergies.
Responsibility Area: Project Management Systems & Support
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a suite of project management tools and a project management plan to support the effective coordination, execution & monitoring of project tasks, activities, and workplans across team members, partners, and operational functions.
- Support the Chief of Party to monitor the progress of activity execution, schedule, burn rate and budget utilization in accordance with project work plan, budget, and donor requirements and assist in the resolution of technical and operational issues that are contributing to schedule delays, under/overspending, scope creep, or other inefficiencies to execution of the project workplan.
Responsibility Area: Learning & Knowledge Management
- Coordinate, help compile, help write and/or edit high quality, on-time and complete donor reports that convey accurate data on project performance and meaningful analysis and presentation of project achievements, challenges, lessons learned, and concrete improvements made and observed.
- Facilitate a dialogue with project staff, partners, and other key stakeholders at PCI’s International Office (IO) to develop a project learning agenda and documentation and dissemination plan.
- Coordinate and support the process of capturing, documenting, packaging and disseminating relevant and useful project information through various mediums (reports, abstracts, case studies, success stories, best practice briefs, newsletters, knowledge sharing events, etc.), ensuring a high level of coordination & collaboration with various stakeholders to ensure the quality of project documentation.
- Regularly disseminate information and learning on project achievements and learning within PCI, both in Botswana and to PCI globally through project level and institutional knowledge sharing platforms. Pursue opportunities and support efforts to disseminate learning externally.
- Strengthen the capacity of PCI staff and partners to plan and implement LKM activities, and implement activities that effectively capture and share staff knowledge and experiences, in order to promote a culture of reflection, sharing and application of learning.
- Work with IT to strengthen PCI/Botswana’s content management systems including PCI/Botswana’s document repository (or Central Desktop) for project documents and other knowledge products.
Responsibility Area: Other
- Participate in PCI’s innovation efforts and in teams on innovation initiatives
Position Parameters/Special Responsibilities Required:
- Supervise two staff, including a Data Analyst and Learning & Documentation Coordinator
- Must be willing to travel 25-40% of the time, including to remote areas
- Minimum Master’s degree in public health or other relevant degree, with specialization in quality assurance, M&E, or knowledge management preferred
- At least 5 years of professional experience at Program Manager level, preferably in Botswana or Southern Africa, in programs relating to HIV/AIDS, with experience in OVC and youth programming highly desirable
- Proven work experience in project management, quality assurance, M&E, and/or knowledge management (experience in at least two of these areas is required)
- Experience with PEPFAR and/or USAID programming highly preferred
- Demonstrated experience working in an international NGO environment and effectively dealing with project staff, international and headquarters staff, as well as donor agencies, government officials, and other NGOs.
- Strong understanding of issues concerning HIV/AIDS prevention, care and support, orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and youth, and adolescent reproductive health
- Proven capacity in designing and delivering effective quality assurance systems and learning/knowledge management strategies and products
- Ability to review, analyze, and interpret program data (quantitative and qualitative), and effectively present accurate information to diverse audiences in easy-to-understand language and formats
- Demonstrated capacity and applied skills in project management including development and monitoring of work plans, and working knowledge of budget management (PMD Pro or equivalent project management certification a plus)
- High level of comfort and working knowledge of real-time information management systems and knowledge management platforms, including familiarity with data visualization approaches
- Demonstrated ability & reputation to build strong working relationships and communicate effectively across functional teams including M&E staff, technical advisors, senior managers in the field and IO, implementing partners, and government
- Proven experience in writing and editing donor reports and other technical knowledge products, and tailor content for multiple audiences both internal and external
- Fluency in and strong command of English, written and spoken (native-level fluency preferred)
- Proven capacity to communicate research and learning in compelling ways, for different audiences; excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong command of Microsoft Office Suite
- A passion for the mission and values of PCI
About the Organization
PCI’s mission is to empower people to enhance health, end hunger and overcome hardship.
The most vulnerable people in the world will have the power to lift themselves out of poverty and to create vital, healthy lives for their families and communities now and for the future.
In 1961, a young doctor from San Diego volunteering at a Tijuana clinic saved the lives of two small children who were dying of pneumonia. This experience led Dr. James Turpin to found PCI and forever change the lives of millions of children and families around the world by providing health and hope to those most in need. Since then, the focus of the organization has remained true to its founder: PCI works in vulnerable communities to improve health and create long-term change by helping people help themselves. For 50 years, thousands of dedicated individuals and groups have worked to make this vision a reality.