Position: Program Support Officer
Location: Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Duration: One Year Contract
Reports: International Program Manager
Position Summary: The Program Support Officer will be an integral member of the Grants Unit at RI Bangladesh. The Grants Unit serves as the facilitator for grants management processes in country and ensures compliance with donor requirements at all stages of the project lifecycle. The Grants Unit’s responsibilities include, but not limited to, ensuring timely and quality reporting, facilitating grant opening and closeout processes, advising on donor rules and regulations, maintaining grants related information and files, leading proposal development processes, managing reporting deadlines and producing high-quality program reports and donor updates, and developing internal and external communication materials.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Support the program, finance and operations team throughout the entire grant/project lifecycle:
- Ensure program involvement throughout budget development, incorporating supply needs and staffing needs
- Work with operations to forecast operational needs and include appropriate cost allocation in budget development
- Work with teams to begin mobilization of projects prior to award signature
- Support recruitment and procurement planning with program teams during mobilization
- Lead grant opening meetings, quarterly grant review meetings, and grant close out meetings in collaboration with the Finance Manager
- Coordinate the development of sub-grant agreements and any subsequent modifications;
- Monitor expenditures, conduct variance analysis in collaboration with Program and Finance teams, and support internal and external budget realignments as necessary
- Work with Program Teams to raise purchase requests (PRs) and ensure budget is utilized within 2-3 weeks of grant opening
Representation, Reporting and Compliance:
- Work closely with the Program and finance teams to develop standard reporting templates and tools that will support improved narrative, logframe and financial reporting.
- Participate in sector/cluster working groups in collaboration with technical program leads
- Ensure 4W reports and relevant sector/cluster reports are compiled across sector and sent before the deadline
- Develop one to two pager updates for donors and share with donors are on monthly basis; participate in donor meetings
- Must possess strong communication skills and should be confident meeting and engaging with donors along with the Sr. ER Program Manager and Sector Leads
- Maintain knowledge of grant agreement language and regulations, serving as a knowledge resource on assigned donors and escalating questions where needed.
- Raise compliance issues proactively with the Finance and Operations Manager.
Program Design and Development:
- Support the development of high quality proposals and budgets that are relevant and include input from key stakeholders (finance, operations, programs, partners, etc.).
- Manage the entire proposal development process for ER portfolio - including compilation/editing of the technical narrative, development of budgets and budget narratives, drafting of required annexes, etc.
- Make sure that the entire proposal package adheres to donor guidelines and meets the selection criteria;
- Work closely with grant counterparts in DC and Manila to ensure coordination and adherence to proposal timelines and requirements.
- Lead grant review meetings, including monthly review of Budget vs Actual (BVA) reports to address and escalate any projected underspend
- Coordinate grant review meetings with Finance colleagues and support with cost allocations/master budget planning as needed
- Work closely with technical program teams to make sure staffing and supply needs are incorporated into budgets throughout the budget development process
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- University or Masters degree, with 3-5 years of experience working with an international NGO.
- Significant budget and proposal development experience
- Strong budget oversight / management experience. The candidate should be comfortable supporting with budget realignment and identifying the proper coding/classification of costs
- Experience with donors including UNHCR, PRM, UNICEF, USAID/OFDA
- Ability to prioritize and deal with competing demands.
- Fluent spoken and written English.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- A team builder with excellent people skills; culturally sensitive and has the ability and interest to identify and work with a multicultural team.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
About the Organization
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.