Aga Khan Agency for Habitat (AKAH), Syria
Role and responsibilities
The Program Director will provide strategic and operational leadership to the start-up of a new country unit for Aga Khan Agency for Habitat in Syria.
This will include local set up of operational processes; hiring and managing the country team, oversee the preparation of annual budgets as guided by the CEO and be responsible for the development and implementation of annual and long-term work plans.
- Responsible to deliver the annual work plans to achieve the M&E AKAH indicators on time and on budget;
- Develops field unit plans and activities, in line with the global agency strategy and operations;
- Ensures that the thematic working teams e.g. planning/building and emergency management, work in tandem and coordinate plans and activities to ensure synergy and effectiveness to meet the demands of the population served;
- Ensures constructive and regular engagement with implementation partners to successfully deliver the program priorities;
- Responsible to oversee the quality of all construction and operational work carried out including building that are structurally resilient to earthquakes and other natural disasters;
- Accountable for all training of communities and ensuring they are as equipped as possible to cope with disaster events;
- Accountable to ensure that the unit, with the support of trained volunteers and others, is able to respond to emergency situations in an effective and timely manner;
- Fosters collaboration and consultation on implementation issues between AKAH unit and other AKDN units in the country.
- Prepare and submit grant applications and funding proposals as appropriate and ensures that all donor grants are managed and reported upon appropriately, through quality reports;
- Inspires, manages and coaches local staff members in the technical and management core competency areas defined by AKAH.
Education, Experience and Skills required
- A post graduate qualification in a relevant or related field Masters in International Development, DRR Emergency Response, Business Administration,
- Experience managing field units involved in a significant amount of programme implementation;
- Experience managing an operation/programs for a minimum of 7 years with a large and diverse (ethnically, culturally, religiously) staff complement;
- Experience overseeing the preparation of large and complex budgets; and
- Proven managerial skills with written and oral fluency in English
Qualified applicants should apply via the AKDN Career Centre at www.akdn.org/careers/1698600
Applications should consist of a CV accompanied by a covering letter. Deadline for applications is 21 August 2020
About the Organization
A new agency, the Aga Khan Agency for the Habitat (AKAH), works to ensure that people live in physical settings that are as safe as possible from the effects of natural disasters, that residents who do live in such high risk areas are able to cope with disasters in terms of preparedness and response, and that these settings provide access to social and financial services that lead to greater opportunities and a better quality of life. The flagship Syrian programs are in climate resilient construction technologies, improving regional water security and standards, habitat planning in historic sites, responding to emergencies and disaster risk management and mitigation. Building economic opportunities, creating safe places for youth and the community and building resilience in partnership with other AKDN agencies is our mission.