Coordinate and facilitate the programme teams to prepare proposals, reports, and communications resources for submission to institutional and private donors. The Programme Funding Manager / Communications Officer (PFM/CO) will maintain appropriate information systems, track the internal progress of proposals and reports, and research new funding sources. In addition to directly reporting to the Country Director, this role also liaises with the Regional Communications Manager. It is expected that the Syria PFM/CO will also support the Project Coordinator in overseeing quality assurance in Medair-implemented projects and accountability to supported communities and individuals.
Since 2015 Medair has successfully completed projects in Rural Damascus Governorate and rural Homs for the rehabilitation of urban water systems, rehab and re-equipping of primary healthcare clinics, development of community-based health programmes, capacity building for health staff and community workers and the provision of shelter kits to vulnerable households. In response to the need for, support for people with disabilities at household and community level, Medair is responding with further interventions to this vulnerable group. The team in Damascus has 3.5 international and 20+ national staff, with a further 5 national staff in Aleppo. Note : this position is reliant on obtaining Government of Syria approval for visa & residency. Nationality may be a factor.
Field based position in Damascus, Syria. Take a look at Medair’s work in Syria.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
March 2018. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Coordinate the drafting and presentation of all proposals, operational and financial reports.
- Manage timelines for preparing proposal and report submissions, provide templates, guidelines and donor-specific advice to ensure that all involved staff are aware of their needed contributions.
- Maintain an overview of the assigned programme’s relationships with, and funding from Medair’s key institutional donors.
Donor Relations Management
- Maintain current analysis of institutional donor humanitarian policy and practice, compliance, trends and funding opportunities.
- Maintain efficient donor relationship management, attend relevant meetings.
- Support the Regional Communications staff in the facilitation, development and drafting of proposals.
- Ensure that best practice is communicated, followed in all aspects of grants management.
- Work with the Regional Communications Manager to ensure accurate programme information for internal and external communications materials.
- Work with national staff to pro-actively and re-actively obtain resources.
- Develop network with representatives in order to secure funding for the country programme.
- Promote and review the design and application of Medair branding in all field communication.
- Advise staff regarding communications with stakeholders. Develop Key Messages and provide trainings.
- In accordance with country-specific guidelines, produce short content updates for social media use.
- Lead on designated sections of Annual Report drafting and any other communication material.
- Ensure that applications and reports are produced to a high standard, comply with guidelines, deadlines, contracts and other donor needs and requests.
- Contribute to training and coaching national and international staff on relevant programme funding topics and writing techniques, as well as institutional donor requirements specific to their programme.
- Support the CD and Project Coordinator as requested for quality assurance in Medair-implemented projects and act as the independent focal point for monitoring and tracking Accountability to Affected Population.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- At least 2 years post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
- At least 2 years’ experience in a programme funding or grant-writing role, preferably in a humanitarian context. At least 1 year of management experience.
- Experience in dealing with institutional humanitarian donors, especially ECHO, UN Agencies, etc.
- M&E experience. Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to target different audiences and to tailor output accordingly.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and networking skills. Able to coordinate and influence others.
- Able to persevere in the face of difficulties and discouragements.
- Able to understand and work with project budgets, financial reports. Successful report writing skills.
- Team-player with good interpersonal skills.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.