The purpose of this role is to manage a number projects in the south-east Asia region, based from the Manilla office. There will be a significant focus on project and client management, while also providing technical inputs to projects with a particular focus on cities, climate change and resilience. The candidate will also play an active role in business development, contributing to proposals for new work.
In addition, you will make an impact in this role by…
- Reviewing opportunities, providing summaries and recommendations regarding Arup’s potential involvement.
- Liaising with potential partners, ascertaining their interest in, and commitment to, opportunities. Make recommendations regarding their involvement in project teams.
- Conducting background research to inform bid design and prepare information on relevant project experience.
- Preparing technical input into project designs, drafting sections of proposals, and proposing creative approaches to project needs.
- Supporting client relationship management, attending meetings and representing Arup to clients and partners.
- Ensuring Arup’s Management Systems and procedures are followed in all project processes.
- Managing scope and change controls within projects.
- Generating creative approaches and options for project requirements, finding the most effective and efficient way to deliver project outputs.
- Developing project plans, balancing time and budget, to ensure deliverables can be achieved.
- Monitoring project progress and prepare reports to clients as per reporting schedules.
- Monitoring spending against budget and prepare monthly financial reports for clients.
- Identifying health and safety risks for projects; define health and safety management and mitigation plans and ensure that these are implemented in all project activities.
- Reviewing inputs from other team members to check for quality and accuracy and provide appropriate feedback for improvement.
- Preparing official project documents, ensuring high quality deliverables.
- Managing the day-to-day activities of the Arup team and sub-consultants (based in various countries) across multiple work streams and/or projects.
- Keeping track of workload within project teams, managing own time and ensuring others’ time is within expectations.
- Ensuring work is delivered within commercial parameters.
- Monitoring key relationships within projects and ensure these are maintained for effective delivery.
- Providing technical skills to defined areas of projects, ensuring key deliverable reflect recent technical learnings.
- Providing capacity building in technical areas, including knowledge products, guidance and training.
- Participating in internal and external skills networks to maintain own skills and to build networks.
- Capturing best practice guidance from own projects and from skills networks, and disseminate this both internally and externally, including representing Arup and external meetings.
- Travelling to project locations up to 50% of the time.
To achieve in this role, you are likely to…
- Have a Master’s Degree in international development urban planning, environmental science, climate change or other relevant field.
- Have strong thematic knowledge on city resilience and climate change adaptation preferred.
- Have experience in implementing medium to large scale projects, ideally including managing international programmes for government donors or financial institutions.
- Have experience of working in the development sector, working with in-country partners including national and local governments and NGOs, preferably in Asia.
- Have experience in the development and delivery of technical advice and support in knowledge management and capacity development. This should include stakeholder consultation, training, and development / dissemination of knowledge products to meet specific audience needs.
- Have experience in delivering technical assistant and advice to partners.
- Have experience of managing project teams, organising workplans, and delivering within project and commercial parameters.
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, particularly in cross-cultural environments.
- Have the ability to quickly build and maintain relationships with clients, partners and teams.
- Have strong planning and organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Have the ability to work independently when needed, while also providing direction to other project team members.
- Have strong commercial acumen, with the ability to undertake comprehensive financial review and reporting.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits including private healthcare and a range of other protection schemes are funded by Arup and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing.
Shape your time with us
How can we best work with you?? Whether you’re a parent, a Carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours.
At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you’re interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply and we’ll discuss how this could work in your role.
About the Organization
Arup is an independent global design, engineering and planning consultancy whose mission is to shape a better world. The International Development team aims to improve well-being and reduce vulnerability in emerging economies and fragile contexts. Our core themes include inclusive and safer social infrastructure; inclusive and resilient cities; improved water, sanitation and basic services; climate change adaptation and disaster resilience; and organisational development and programme management.
The team works with like-minded partners including bilateral and multilateral agencies, foundations, civil society organisations and research institutions, to deliver projects in Southern and Eastern Africa, South and South-East Asia, Latin America, and in Small Island Developing States in the Pacific and Caribbean.