Call for Applications
Position Title : Programme Manager/Chief of Party Duty Station : To be determined
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 02 November 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, and the programmatic directives from the IOM-OTI Global Program Coordinator in Washington, DC – as outlined in the “Framework for Cooperation between USAID/OTI and IOM” –, the candidate will be responsible for the overall coordination and management of country level activities of the IOM country program funded by United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/ Office of Transition Initiatives (OTI).
The program, supported by a small grants initiative, will be implemented in close coordination with USAID/OTI, with communities in priority areas, and with all levels of Government. The overall objective of the IOM Program is to improve country cohesiveness through strengthened community empowerment and economic uplift. The Program Manager/Chief of Party will discharge a range of duties and provide overall guidance for the program throughout its geographic coverage.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Have full programmatic, financial, administrative and logistical programmatic responsibility forall program activities and ensure that IOM standards and operating modalities are met wherever the programme is implemented.
- Conceptualize and design programme strategies, and direct appropriate resource allocationamong several offices, stakeholders and sub-regions.
- Maintain a frequent dialogue and work closely with USAID/OTI to re-enforce the principle ofactivity development.
- Manage the in-country relationship with USAID/OTI and work in close coordination with IOMGlobal OTI Program Coordinator in Washington, DC as part of IOM’s global strategic partnership with USAID/OTI.
- Hire and train all programme staff as well as create, deploy and periodically fine-tune allprogrammatic systems, including database management, procurement, financial tracking and accounting. Ensure that all departments are coordinating together smoothly to achieve the programme objectives and supervise all in-country international and national staff.
- In close conjunction with the management of the IOM Mission, the Mission’s Field Security Officer, and in accordance with the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) requirements, be responsible for the safety and security of all individuals implementing the programme. This includes ensuring that appropriate security information is regularly and appropriately disseminated and that relevant safety and security training is conducted in coordination with IOM’s Staff Security Unit (SSU) when required.
- Assess, develop a plan for, and oversee all related contracting staff, technical experts orservice providers in relation to the programme.
- Liaise with international and national counterparts to further the development and enhancethe objectives of the programme. Seek programmatic partnerships and synergies when appropriate with other humanitarian and development partners and government entities.
- Actively consult with a wide range of sources, including management of the IOM Mission andIOM Washington, in order to continually assess the full context of IOM Program funded by USAID/OTI, including in relation to other IOM programs and priorities in the country.
- Responsible for continually developing IOM Program in accordance with programmeobjectives, updated strategic priorities, project successes, donor interests and UN security constraints.
- Supervise the tracking of all programme expenditures to ensure budget recommendationsare met, that all grant management and financial tracking instruments are reconciled and that all funds are spent in accordance with IOM standards and donor expectations. In coordination with the relevant IOM Mission departments, HQ and others, ensure the timely submission of financial reports to the donor.
- Responsible for regular reporting, including all financial, narrative and databaserequirements, and ensure regular and proactive coordination with program counterparts in IOM Global OTI Program Coordinator in Washington, DC in support of the OTI 4-Corner management model.
- In close coordination with the main programme counterparts, ensure that small grantinitiatives and related community and government relationships are developed in accordance with programme goals and objectives.
- Act as the primary contact for the programme in work across multiple sectors that include,but are not limited to, health, agriculture, education, municipal infrastructure, gender, transportation, and water and sanitation.
- Develop and enforce anti-corruption measures and strengthen existing measures includingthe implementation of a sound Monitoring and Evaluation system to ensure the transparent use of donor funds. Report corruption issues to the donor according to established procedures.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Law, International Relations, Development Studies and Planning or a related field from an accredited academic institution with eight years of relevant professional experience in positions with progressive responsibility; or
- University degree in the above fields with ten years of relevant professional experience.
- Progressive responsibility with demonstrated supervisory experience in staff, security, budgetand office management;
- With at least 5 years of operational field experience in programme formulation, implementationand evaluation;
- With at least 3 years of operational experience with USAID programming in a rapid transitionor post-conflict area, with some of this experience having been with USAID/OTI;
- Previous work experience in small-grants programing, infrastructure works, procurement andcivil-society strengthening highly desirable;
- Thorough knowledge of the United Nations Department of Safety and Security protocols andexperience working in a Phase III or above security environment;
- Experience managing staff from diverse environments and backgrounds and in UNDSSphased security areas.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French or Spanish is an advantage based on program location. Knowledge of a local language is an asset.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences;encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistentwith organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committedmanner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieveshared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timelymanner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explainscomplex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.
Below is the list of the OTI-funded Programmes IOM is implementing in the respective five countries:
- SSI (Somalia Stabilization Initiative) – IOM Somalia;
- NCCI (Niger Community Cohesion Initiative) – IOM Niger;
- NDDRR (Nigeria Disarmament, Demobilisation, Reintegration, Reconciliation) – IOM Nigeria;
- BHRI (Bosnia and Herzegovina Resilience Initiative) – IOM Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- PTI (Pakistan Transition Initiative) – IOM Pakistan
As part of the application process, candidates may indicate which country(ies) they do not want to be considered for.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 02 November 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to: http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 11.10.2018 to 02.11.2018
Requisition: CFA 2018/45 - Programme Manager/Chief of Party (55685467) Released
Posting: Posting NC55685475 (55685475) Released