The vision of Norwegian People’s Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement’s humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people’s living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA’s international work covers three core areas: Humanitarian Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises Response.
Norwegian People’s Aid is seeking a Programme Manager for Humanitarian Disarmament in Montenegro
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Humanitarian Disarmament’s vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has more than 22 Humanitarian Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from exposive weapons?
As a legacy from the NATO bombing in 1999, Montenegro is still contaminated with cluster munition remnants. Montenegro has a deadline to complete its obligations under the Convention on Cluster Munitions is August 2020. NPA is assisting the people and authorities of Montenegro to meet this deadline, and to protect civilians from the last cluster munition remnants in the country. In 2018, NPA is opening a new programme in Montenegro. As Programme Manager, you will be a central factor in making the completion happen. The Montenegro programme works closely with NPA Bosnia & Herzegovina.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
- Leadership and managment of the NPA Montenegro programme. This includes all aspects of the programme, inter alia strategic, administrative, financial and personnel management.
- Consolidation and development of NPA’s relationship with local and national authorities, development agencies and other operators.
- Representation of NPA in Montenegro both in media and in public.
- Promoting a leadership culture and team spirit based upon equality and mutual respect, independent of the hierarchy in the organisation.
- Ensuring that the programme is carried out with a continuous focus on quality, relevance, impact and cost efficiency.
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- Relevant higher education (for instance in management, finance, administration, HR or military education).
- Minimum five years relevant work experience, including as a successful manager in a complex international organisation and with donor funded programmes or projects.
- Previous experience in a multi-national environment, and cultural and political sensitivity.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work calmly under pressure and limited guidance and supervision.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent command of English.
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
Experience and knowledge from work in post-conflict contexts, and humanitarian disarmament/mine action programmes. The ideal candidate has experience with finance and administration, a strong sense of organisation and planning, and is analytical, systematic and structured. It is also desirable with knowledge of a Scandinavian language.
The chosen candidate must have skills and abilities complementary to the programme team. We place particular emphasis on strong leadership and good communication skills.
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday* plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year**. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health. One of NPA’s overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organisation, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note that screening may take place continuously, and the position may be filled before the application deadline.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org/Our-Work/Humanitarian-Disarmament or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA’s internal regulations
Sven Jonas Zachrisson
Country Director Bosnia
+856 20 2223 2312