Role & Responsibilities
Coordinating and managing the main support functions including general administration, base management, finance, human resources, and logistics and coordinating grants with institutional and private donors.
In 2018 Medair Madagascar is planning three essential projects; 1) an integrated WASH project in Southern Madagascar & 2) setup a national emergency response surge pool and mobile office at the capital base in Antananarivo, Madagascar. 3) Early warning systems in Northern and Eastern Madagascar to evacuate people and improve information sharing during emergency responses The PRSM position is essential in this transition process to prepare Medair MDG for future operations in new areas.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Antananarivo, Madagascar. Minimum 40 hours a week, working hours from 7.30-17.30, except Fridays 7.30-13.00. Take a look at Medair’s work in Madagascar.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
January 2018. Full time, 12 months (renewable).
Key Activity Areas
Project Support Management
- Ensure the smooth running of the assigned base(s) including set-up of new bases, staff supervision, maintenance and liaison with landlords, contractors and suppliers.
- Supervise all financial activities to ensure all cash management needs, reporting deadlines and internal and external audit requirements are met.
- Supply CD/HCP with monthly BvA updates and management of the TCV system.
- Ensure all internal financial controls are in place and that Medair and donor guidelines are followed
- Oversee all human resource activities, supporting line managers as required in areas such as recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action, etc.
- Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to employment are adhered to, including contracts, statutory deductions, record keeping, etc.
- Provide logistical support to programme staff and field bases, including managing the supply chain, vehicles, assets, IT and communication equipment and the training of logistics staff.
- Ensure accurate and efficient procedures are maintained in logistics, particularly in the areas of procurement, storage and transportation.
- Monitor that regular computer back-ups, virus updates and routine maintenance are carried out and provide IT trouble-shooting if required.
- Work with field managers and HQ staff in the preparation and development of budgets for support and shared costs, ensuring they meet all relevant Medair and donor requirements.
- Manage and track expenditure of all MDG project and base budgets, ensuring spending is in accordance with donor requirements and time frames.
- Draw up, manage and periodically review contracts between Medair and external suppliers, ensuring they remain valid and relevant and that the terms and conditions are followed
- Submit accurate and timely internal reports as required by field management and HQ and contribute on request to external reports
- Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all transactions, that records are kept in an orderly and timely fashion and that the filing (archive) system is in line with Medair and donor requirements
- Ensure that all support departments archive their documents correctly and that all important documentation is uploaded unto Box.
Coaching of NRS & local staff development
- Develop staff development plans for each NRS staff in MDG
- Conduct regular coaching sessions with line managers and subordinates
- Research staff training opportunities and create a “learning culture” within MEDAIR MDG
- Ensure that training needs are documented and budgeted in base and project budgets
- Promote succession planning and internal promotion of existing NRS staff.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Graduate/postgraduate/professional qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years of professional experience Post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
- Problem solving ability, excellent communicator, good numerical and report writing skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- Team-player but also able to work independently.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the ”Current Vacancies” page then:
- apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
- apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.