The Programmes Coordinator is a member of the Big Heart operational Senior Management Team (SMT) with overall responsibility for the strategic development and effective delivery of Big Heart’s programme in Syria. The role focuses on programme planning, management design and development, reporting, Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) and capacity building, as well as coordination internally and with relevant partners and stakeholders, including donors.
Tasks & Responsibilities
· Work with SMT to develop a clear vision, objectives, strategic direction, and plan of activities for Big Hearts country programme in Syria, ensuring programme design is evidence based, responds effectively to the needs of conflict affected populations and is informed by effective stakeholder mapping and the overall vision and strategy of Big Heart Foundation.
· Oversee the development of donor proposals – log-frames, narratives and budgets for direct programme costs - based on the above, field site planning and a robust understanding of the needs and priorities of targeted groups.
· Working with SMT and relevant programmes staff, proactively identify and follow-up on business development opportunities ensuring Big Hearts country programme in Syria is well-funded with a diverse donor portfolio.
· Oversee the implementation of all programme activities; ensure that programme sector leads develop detailed activity plans in line with the objectives of donor proposals. Ensure that those activity plans are regularly reviewed, in terms of actual outputs and financial spend, and amended as necessary to ensure the programmes achieve their objectives within the allotted time and budget.
· Oversee preparation of all donor and internal narrative reporting, ensuring that all reports are submitted in a timely manner and meet the required standards.
· Ensure Big Heart is appropriately represented in external coordination mechanisms including the relevant Clusters and Technical Working Groups.
· Oversee the development and/or implementation of appropriate Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) and programme management tools and systems, and ensure that analysis and recommendations inform ongoing programme delivery and are utilised for programme decision-making.
· Ensure appropriate tools and systems are in place to monitor programme spend and manage programme specific budget lines, ensuring effective delivery against programme objectives in line with Big Heart and donor policies and requirements.
· Lead on the establishment and / or development of tools and systems to ensure effective grant management, foster accountability of key programme staff and enable shared understanding and clarity on grant objectives, activities, progress and any challenges faced.
· Working with the SMT, ensure development and dissemination of robust policies and guidelines for all aspects of programme implementation in Syria. These will be developed in coordination with field staff and will reflect international humanitarian standards, including Sphere standards and the Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP) benchmarks.
· Working with the Director of Operations & Finance, oversee development and implementation of tools and processes to ensure effective consideration and mainstreaming of Child Protection, Gender and Accountability through all stages of Syria country programme design and implementation. This will include rolling out organisational policies and delivery of staff capacity development plans with reference to core mainstreaming themes and approaches.
· Work with other team members to ensure adherence to Big Heart and donor policies as these relate to all aspects of programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
· Ensure that beneficiaries, local stakeholders, and local staff are consulted and involved as much as possible in programme planning, implementation and M&E.
· Ensure logistics, HR and finance protocols are followed by all programmes team members.
· Work with Logistics and Finance staff to ensure appropriate involvement of operations departments at all stages of the programme cycle.
· Work with the SMT to ensure adequate staffing to meet programme objectives.
· Line management of senior programme staff including performance management and the development of clear capacity building plans to meet identified gaps and / or needs.
· Carry out other duties as requested by Line Manager.
- Languages: Excellent command of English, knowledge of Arabic is highly desirable.
- IT knowledge: Proficient command of Office (word, excel). Previous programming and database experience is highly desirable.
- Personal skills: Excellent management skills with the ability to quickly reprioritise activities to meet the demands of the programme in a rapidly changing context, Good interpersonal and facilitation skills with the ability to lead teams to reach consensus on complex and/or divisive issues, commitment to capacity building staff and nationalising positions where possible, ability to prioritize workload according to the changing needs of the program, proactively engage with diverse stakeholders, and problem solve, highly organized with a logical approach to information management. Enthusiastic and willing to work unsociable and / or long hours to meet the needs of the programme.
- Technical Program skills: Excellent writing skills, commitment to Humanitarian principles. An understanding of mainstreaming principles, including gender and child protection and Big Hearts sectors (WASH, FSL, SNFI, Education).
- At least five years with humanitarian and / or development agencies at a senior management level with demonstrable ability to lead a team and effectively manage line reports
- Demonstrable previous experience in programme planning (including proposal development), budgeting, implementation and review
- Prior experience working in Syria or in the Middle East region with a robust understanding of the current humanitarian context
- Experienced and confident in representation with institutional donors and with UN agencies and NGOs
- Prior experience overseeing the implementation of programmes in large-scale emergency response contexts.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Advanced Degree and studies in development, humanitarian aid, international law or another relevant field is a plus.