Contract type: 2 year fixed term (renewable) – FOR IMMEDIATE EMPLOYMENT
WaterAid Nigeria (WANG) is in the process of signing a two year grant with the National Panning Commission to deliver an EU funded Grant for CSO Water Supply and Sanitation Sector Reform Programme (WSSRP) 111 to be implemented in Riyom and Shendam LGAs of Plateau State.
To ensure compliance with European Union (EU) financing and procurement process, WANG requires the services of an Accountant with strong EDF experience to support the Finance Team in administering this grant. The position will be based in Abuja.
This role provides all round financial and grants management support to WaterAid Nigeria partners, working on the EU WSSRP III project, to ensure effective and efficient management of funding. The post holder is responsible for supporting partner organizations and their staff to develop effective partner financial processes that are in line with Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP); partner organizations compliance with WaterAid and any donor specific financial policies & procedures requirement; the appropriate use of and application of grant funds and accurate and timely submission of financial reports in line with approved donor budgets.
Working within the WaterAid Nigeria finance team, the Project Accountant will:
- Check /Verify requests for payments, and purchase orders, prior to payment run, to ascertain whether sufficient project funding is available and that requests are charged to correct budget lines
- Provide guidance to staff and partners on EU procurement, visibility, expense eligibility and other specific donor regulations as it affects the project
- Ensure financial compliance (with WaterAid, European Union and regulatory authorities) by partners through audit check of finance reports from partners and provide written feedback to partners on their monthly financial reports
- Prepare accurate and timely project financial reports using standard EU grant reporting template
- Monitor Partner cash flow and deal with fund transfer request by partners in a timely manner whilst ensuring proper liquidation of previous advances
- Responsible for filling all Partner financial returns in a systematic and secure manner for proper audit trail and easy retrieval
- Attend to queries regarding project reports/budgets in a timely manner to avoid delays to project plans attributable to late processing of partner transfers
To be successful, you’ll need:
- A Bachelor’s degree or Higher National Diploma in Accounting
- Minimum of three years’ post NYSC work experience in Accounting / Finance related role
- Previous experience in managing and supporting partner organisations working on European Union funded project
- Strong knowledge and experience applying European Union finance, procurement, contracting and grant management regulations.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly Excel & Word (MS Office in general)
- Accounting experience in an international development organisation (preferably in an organization receiving funding from European Union)
- Strong working knowledge of one or more accountancy software applications( SUN accounting package especially)
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these
Find the job description below for full details of the role.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title as the subject of the email.
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
About the Organization
WaterAid is on a mission to change normal for millions of people within a generation by getting clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene to everyone, everywhere by 2030. Without all three, people can't live dignified, healthy lives. With all three, they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty, and change their lives for good. Children grow up healthy and strong, women and men get to earn a living, whole communities start to thrive. It sounds normal and it should be.
WaterAid is a place for people looking for inspiring, stimulating work and a real spirit of togetherness - people with a commitment to our vision, an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important of challenges.
We are looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, who have an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also have the chance to grow and space to be yourself at your best.