Position: Project Appraisal and Preparation Resident Expert
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Start Date: September or October
Contract Duration: 1 year, renewable based on performance for 3-year period
About Cities and Infrastructure for Growth Zambia (CIGZambia)
CIGZambia is a facility that provides high-quality independent technical advice and assistance to Zambian government bodies and private sector organisations engaged in projects /programmes that help harness the potential of Zambia’s cities and towns to act as drivers for economic growth and job creation. CIGZambia is funded by the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID).
The overall programme objectives are:
- increasing urban productivity
- improving inclusive access to urban economic infrastructure services
- increasing investment into urban economic infrastructure services
- enhancing national and regional integration between cities
About the Role
CIG Zambia is seeking a “Project Appraisal and Preparation Resident Expert” to provide technical assistance to the Public Investment Planning Department under the Ministry of National Development Planning in Zambia, to enhance the capacity to coordinate and operate the Public Investment Management System (PIMS). The Resident Expert will be responsible to support the strengthening of the system for appraising Public Investment Projects in Zambia. The CIGZambia Team will support the Expert by providing necessary technical guidance, quality assurance and support the Ministry of National Development Planning (MNDP) Management in ensuring the Consultant delivers on time with high quality.
The Project Appraisal and Preparation Resident Expert will be attached to the Ministry of National Development Planning under the Public Investment Planning Department for 1 year with the possibility of renewal on annual basis for a 3-year period, subject to satisfactory performance. In the delivery of outputs, the Expert will be imbedded in the Government of Zambia Public Investment and Planning Department. S/He will work as part of the technical team and will report to, and be under the direct supervision of, the Director of Public Investment Planning within the government. S/He will also report directly to the Project Preparation and Finance Lead at CIG Zambia.
- Prepare inception report demonstrating understanding of the assignment and propose strategies to achieve the objectives
- Participate in the day-to-day review and appraisal of projects at concepts, Pre-feasibility and full feasibility study stages
- Facilitate capacity building through handholding and skills transfer during review and appraisal process.
- Conduct “In-house training” for staff at the Ministry of National Development Planning (MNDP), Ministry of Finance (MoF) and other Ministries, Provinces, Sectors and Agencies (MPSAs) on various aspect of project appraisal. The expert will be expected to develop an inhouse capacity building plan as part of his inception report.
- Provide technical support to Ministries, Provinces, Sectors and Agencies (MPSAs) on project appraisals
- Advise and propose strategies to enhance the effective functioning of the PIMS
- Prepare a monthly report on progress, achievements, and challenges.
- Develop a strategy on resourcing the Feasibility Study Fund that has been established to facilitate the actual undertaking of project appraisals and feasibility studies.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and practical experience in project development, screening, appraisal review, adult education and in-house training
- Minimum of 5 years of proven experience in project appraisal and preparation for development projects.
- More than 3 years of experience in providing public investment advisory or related management advisory services to recipient governments with traceable success.
- More than 3 years’ experience in providing technical assistance and capacity building in project development and appraisal
- Specific experience of at least 2 similar assignments involving support to governments to establish and implement robust project appraisal systems.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills, as well as proven ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively and credibly with senior government officials in developing countries
- Traceable experience of having undertaken similar assignments in Africa.
- Have a minimum of a master’s degree in Project Planning and Design, Project Appraisal, Project Management, Economics, Development Finance or related field.
- A PHD in any of the above fields would be an added advantage.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. For CV to be considered, subject line in email must be completed as follows: Project Appraisal Expert – Candidate Last Name, First Name
Deadline for Applications:
October 15, 2019