Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS is supporting the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities in the rehabilitation and equipping of an existing building identified as the future premises of the Regional Centre for Conservation and Restoration (RCCR) in Jerash RCCR. The RCCR will is being established with the aim to provide training and professional development, and promoting socio-economic development and tourism in the areas of conservation and restoration with positive effects throughout the Middle Eastern Region (Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and Palestine).
UNOPS will be responsible for the design and rehabilitation and equipping, ensuring highest standards in design and construction, the respect of ‘state of the art’ requirements for safety and security, disability access and the use of innovative technologies to optimize the RCCR utilization and reduce operational costs.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Programme and the direct supervision of the Project Manager (PM), the project Associate will be responsible for the following functions:
The Project Associate will report to the Project Manager. She/he will be expected to conduct regular missions to other locations to monitor and interact with project stakeholders in the execution of the projects.
- Prepare terms of reference for contractors and consultants and prepare recruitment requests;
- Assist with the translation of project documents to and from Arabic and English;
- Support logistical preparations for training events, seminars and workshops.
- Support and follow-up with processing administrative, financial and procurement tasks required for project execution in collaboration with UNOPS operations section;
- Monitor the provision of services by contractors and consultants in coordination with the field personnel and/ or relevant partners;
- Receive and check financial reports sent by contractors and consultants before handing over to operations section,
- Receive and check technical outputs sent by contractors and consultant before submitting to administrative section;
- Support in preparing for, and organizing of project meetings;
- Drafting of regular project progress reports to UNOPS management, donor and other recipients;
- Work in close collaboration with other UNOPS projects and participate in UNOPS management/planning exercises as required;
- Support the planning, reporting, project design and resource mobilization efforts of UNOPS in providing technical services;
- Supports the project management office to ensure all project administration tasks are completed in accordance with customer and internal processes and governance.
- Perform any other duties as might be required for the successful implementation of the projects.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only:
Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Bachelor degree in development studies, sciences, public administration, business management, engineering or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 2 years of directly relevant experience in project implementation;
- Experience of working in an international NGO, UN agency or other international technical cooperation agency is required;
- Experience in supporting construction and/or procurement related project(s) is desired;
- Experience in project design, implementation and monitoring is required;
- Experience in managing and organizing events including excellent organizational skills, ability to follow deadlines, accuracy and attention to details is required;
- Knowledge in use of MS Office is required;
- Proven capacity to interact with a variety of stakeholders, including non-governmental partners, and other UN agencies and international donors is desirable;
- Previous knowledge of the UN system is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Support ICA
Contract level: LICA 6
Contract duration: Open- ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
About the Organization
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.