Project title: Technical assistance of the ‘Support to West Africa Integrated Maritime Security’ project (SWAIMS)
The overall objective of the project is:
To improve maritime security and safety in the Gulf of Guinea in the ECOWAS Region.
The specific objectives of the SWAIMS project are: (1) Governance and law enforcement frameworks are strengthened and prosecution and adjudication of maritime crimes are more successful; and (2) law enforcement operational capacities and responses are strengthened.
The Technical Assistance is implementing selected activities of the SWAIMS programme, and the purpose of this contract is as follows:
The Technical Assistance has certain general and specific responsibilities to ensure the effective organization of the overall SWAIMS programme and will be in charge of the operational implementation of specific activities of the SWAIMS programme. The Technical Assistance will be reporting to ECOWAS and the EU Delegation in Abuja.
The expected results of the project are:
- Result 1. Strengthened integrated maritime governance, policies, laws and systems to support maritime security. The aim of these actions is to build or strengthen maritime policies and administrative structures to ensure that maritime security is benefitting from clear and streamlined organisational linkages, from the political level, through to the strategic, administrative and operational levels.
- Result 2. Illicit financial circuits generated by maritime crime are assessed. The aim of this action is to improve information on the financial circuits and flows resulting from maritime criminal activities, including their clandestine money laundering networks. The key action consists of a comprehensive survey addressing the following matters.
- Result 2.1 Regional operational training is strengthened. This action will focus on providing support to specific activities/institutions based on requested and assessed needs in order to boost regional cooperation by helping financially and technically the main pillars of the mutual regional capacity : ICC (International Coordination Centre) in Yaoundé, ISMI (Institut de Sécurité Maritime Interrégional) in Abidjan, RMU (Regional Maritime University) in Accra.
- Result 2.2 Coordination with the private sector and participation of civil society are improved. This action will focus on developing the involvement of the private sector and civil society in fighting maritime insecurity, and develop steps to coordinate that involvement better.
- Result 2.3. An equipment facility for local needs is established. This action will aim to fill gaps in the provision of equipment to meet local needs associated with the Yaoundé architecture.
- Result 3.Effective project management of SWAIMS is ensured.
Commencement date of the project: 01.11.2018 (48 months)
Duration of the assignment: minimum 750 working days
Qualifications and skills:
- A Master Degree, or equivalent, in public/business administration, international management/project management, conflict related studies, or related fields; or a first university degree in aforementioned courses, with minimum of 15 years general professional experience;
- Excellent command of English and at least good command of French (or vice versa) as well as reporting and communication skills in both languages (written and spoken), additional knowledge of Portuguese will be an asset;
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office suite, datasheets, databases and e-mails.
General professional experience:
- Minimum 12 years of professional experience in international development cooperation and/or in international/regional organisations;
- 7 years of experience in project management including financial and contractual management procedures in projects financed by EU or other bilateral and/or multilateral development partners/donor agencies.
Specific professional experience:
- 5 years of management of a multidisciplinary team or team leader in an internationally funded project, in a domain related to peace & security/conflict(s) prevention;
- Experience in contributing to the design, the identification, the formulation of development projects, particularly EU financed and with European Development Fund (EDF) Financial and Contractual Management Procedures. Having been a team member of at least 2 identifications or formulations will be an asset.
About the Organization
Human Dynamics is a leading European provider of consulting services for the public sector with more than 120 projects implemented in 30 countries worldwide. Currently, Human Dynamics and its 300 experts and consultants advise more than 40 ministries and public/government agencies worldwide. You are welcome on our website for more details: www.humandynamics.org