Role & Responsibilities
Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
Medair was first registered in Syria in 2015 and has since successfully completed projects in Rural Damascus Governorate and rural Homs for the rehabilitation of urban water systems, rehab and re-equipping of primary healthcare clinics, development of community-based health programmes, capacity building for health staff and community workers and the provision of shelter kits to vulnerable households. In response to the need for, and gaps in, support for people with disabilities at household and community level, Medair is responding with further interventions to this vulnerable group. Medair expanded to Aleppo Governorate in mid 2017 in health and shelter; multi-sectoral assistance is expected to extend further in this area. Access to project locations by international staff is limited, as movement permissions are often restricted, however national staff typically have regular direct access.
Field based position in Damascus, Syria. Take a look at Medair’s work in Syria.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible, Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated projects in consultation with the relevant Sector Managers and in accordance with the project proposals.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated projects, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted and reports made to the relevant in-country or HQ managers or to donors.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context.
- Support the Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
- Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors and line managers.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at meetings.
- Seek out and actively participate in local networks or task groups on specific humanitarian aid issues.
- Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Monitor the spending of the projects to ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines.
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching.
- Hold regular team meetings through a consultative leadership style.
- Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated projects by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Monitor and review the security status of the areas of operation on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Ensure security plans and protocols for the areas of operation are updated and implemented in response to changes in the security situation.
- Oversee preparation of movement permissions and act as primary Security Focal Point during field trips.
- Ensure designated projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Post-graduate degree in the humanitarian sector and security management training.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
- At least 3 years’ experience in a relief environment with a humanitarian INGO.
- At least 2 years’ experience of managing projects and teams in insecure environments.
- Experience with data analysis packages, tablets & smartphones & associated software in assessments.
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
- Advanced leadership, project management, networking and advocacy skills.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the ”Current Vacancies” page then:
- apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
- apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.