The Project Coordinator shall have a good understanding of the terms, conditions, and the respective roles and responsibilities of the UNOPS and key stakeholders to ensure the project products are capable of meeting the business cases for both UNOPS and the client. The roles of the Project Coordinator shall include, but not limited to,
- Support implementation of project for construction of 17000 permanent houses for conflict affected displaced families in the Northern & Eastern province in Sri Lanka in collaboration with the SPM with a focus on Community Mobilisation, Communications, M&E, Reporting and Coordination of all Implementing agencies and Government stakeholders.
- Work progressively towards and ensure that objectives as defined in the project are achieved within the allotted time frame.
- Systematically support implementation of housing construction adopting home-owner centric, with community-based organisations managing the construction, while the agency oversees the process ensuring quality and timely delivery and provides training on the technical, financial and administrative procedures.
Coordination, Communication and Reporting
- Develop and maintain a stakeholder communication strategy.
- Establish a robust coordination mechanism for all Implementing Agencies, via regular meetings and reporting, identify potential risk/issues, assist in troubleshooting.
- Develop a communication strategy for external and internal audience in line with the UNOPS corporate branding policies and guidelines. Develop strong communication products such as beneficiaries’ stories using photography, video, narratives etc. to achieve optimum visibility for UNOPS and the results delivered for the beneficiaries.
- Develop strong relationships with Government counterpart at all levels. Cooperate and maintain rapport with community level stakeholders and government officials including Grama Niladaris, National Housing Development & Authority (NHDA), Rural Development Officer (RDO) and officials of the Community Organizations etc. to facilitate successful programme implementation.
- Develop the Reporting framework and tools as required by the project document and to ensure efficient coordination with internal and external partners.
- Train and manage the Reporting and coordination assistants.
- Develop a Community Mobilisation Strategy and organize and conduct awareness activities among the community.
- Organize activities to promote goodwill, trust and cooperation within beneficiary communities.
- Disseminate information and encourage beneficiaries on behaviour change including the adaptation of good hygiene, safe water, sanitation and green technology practices.
- Motivate and ensure beneficiaries participate in the process of housing construction.
- Support Associate Project Engineer in identifying the Community Based Organizations (CBOs) for housing construction.
- Provide training and capacity development to CBOs on non-technical matters.
- Guide and advise CBOs on documentation and reporting.
- Organize periodical community level meetings to review gaps, delays and issues relating to the project and take remedial measures to resolve the issues with the concurrence of the Community Liaison team.
- Maintain an effective and cordial vertical and horizontal working relationship with all officials, staff and volunteers in order to attain project objectives.
- Manage the data management team and establish a robust database for all beneficiary details and documentation in collaboration with the Fieldsight team.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Develop and lead the execution of the M&E program for the project.
- Define indicators
- Define the most appropriate methodology
- Define the ToR of the necessary tools (i.e. Software for data collection and reporting)
- Supervise the development of any necessary tool
- Provide feedback to new proposal based on lessons learned
- Update/create tools as needed
- Plan, implement, supervise and monitor the execution phase
- Prepare the M&E reports for the clients
- Present M&E reports to clients/partners when needed
- Supervise if necessary temporary consultants
- Take on the final responsibility for data collection and organization as well as all field activities related to M&E
- Support the project focal point for M&E (if any) to ensure results.
- Initiate mid and end of the project evaluations.
- Provide technical assistance related to M&E
- Define indicators based on project objectives and expected results
- QA/QC on data collection
- Data analysis and recommendations to projects coordinators/managers
- Lead and motivate the project management team
- Ensure that behavioural expectations of team members are established
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted
- Identify outstanding staff and bring them to the attention of the SPM and Director
- Have a thorough understanding of UNOPS personnel contract modalities (including ICA and Staff)
- Assist in selecting, recruiting and training team as required by project plans
- Perform Project Support role if required
- Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UNDSS and UNOPS Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) standards
Core Values and Principles:
Understand and respect UNOPS sustainability principles
- Look for ways to embed UNOPS sustainability principles in day to day project management
- Seek opportunities to champion gender equality at work place
- Champion and communicate project’s sustainability aspects with key stakeholders
Understand and Respect National ownership and capacity
- Understand the principles of the Paris Declaration on aid effectiveness and mainstream them into the project plans
- Seek opportunities to recruit qualified local staff
- Look for ways to build capacity of local counterparts
Partnerships and Coordination Understand the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and UNOPS, the project’s place in the UN system
- Strive to build strong partnerships and effective coordination among relevant project actors (e.g. United Nations, governments, and non-governmental organizations or other relevant partners)
Accountability for results and the use of resources
- The project management processes are designed to deliver maximum accountability, transparency and results. If a project or processes is not in line with this, it is the responsibility of the PM to raise the issue with a supervisor
- Contribute to innovation and the adaptation of best practice standards of sustainability and quality.
Perform other duties as may be assigned by the SPM.
About the Organization
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner. Working in more than 80 countries, UNOPS supports partners in the implementation of approximately 1,000 projects, which range from managing the construction of roads in South Sudan to building shelters in Haiti to procuring educational computers in Argentina. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects it supports.
Working with UNOPS
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We’re looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in many disciplines, from project management, to procurement, infrastructure, finance and human resources. The work we do is fulfilling and offers opportunities for professional and personal development.
Watch this video to learn more about working with UNOPS
With over 6,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce as a means of better understanding and addressing the needs of our partners, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage the recruitment of qualified female candidates. Moreover, the vast majority of our personnel are nationals, working in their own country and developing local capacity.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options, such as flexi-time, compressed work schedules and telecommuting. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types across the globe.